PDA

View Full Version : Opening files?????????

Chuckyd67
2005-02-28, 11:02 PM
We have a project started in ADT 05 that has been on a back burner for a few weeks. When the project was originally active, everything ran normally. Then, this morning, one of my guys tried opening one of the files and it took over 5 minutes. I have tried opening some of the same files, but they do require an extraordinarily long time to open. I have restarted the software, rebooted the computer, recovered files, audited files, purged, and re-saved, all to no avail. The project has not moved since it was last used and other projects in the same server do not experience this difficulty.

The only thing that has changed is that we have created two new projects through the project navigator, while the one with the lag time was created via pre-navigator methods. Still, other files created the same way do not require so long to open.

In addition to opening times being excessive, any activity performed once the document is open suffers from excessive lag.

What has happened to this project??????

arcadia_x27
2005-03-01, 01:01 PM
Ill ask the obvious first, did you try refreshing the project from the project browser?
and just cause I dont understand, how did you create it without using the project navigator. (I havent used ADT heavily till 2004, and I didnt do much with 3.3) does it have a .apj file? could that file be corrupted and causing the problem?

Chuckyd67
2005-03-01, 01:15 PM
As I said, the project was not created through the PN. I just open the drawing files. While the project was active, there was no issue with opening or manipulating files.

I think I will call in the exorcist now.

david_peterson
2005-03-01, 04:38 PM
well here's another stupid thought, it's saved in a 2d plan view correct?
I've found it will take a much longer time to open a drawing if you have such things like bar joist or a lot of other funky geometry.
Does the file size seem abnormally large? You may be carrying around a lot of extra data not associated with the drawing.
have you tried to -wblock out the drawing into a new drawing started with a clean template?
What about trying to create the file structure inside of PN? ie "save current drawing as a construct"?

The only other thing I've heard that's sounds something like this was back in vanilla 2002.
Depend on how your selection were methods are set up, acad would stall for a moment in mid command and the pointer would freeze on the screen for about 10-15 sec.
Our IT guy put a sniffer on the server to find out what was happening. According to him Acad was looking for the "esort.dst" file (which doesn't exist anymore) and it would ping the server about 1000 time before it gave up and let you get back to work.
I haven't heard of a fix for it yet.
Just some thoughts.

Chuckyd67
2005-03-04, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, but I cannot pin the reason down to anything you suggested. The files have always and still are displayed in 2D wireframe mode. There are some roof joists, but they appear only in an Xref attached to the building sections. The extreme delay occurs even in drawings that have very few intelligent objects, such as detail sheets. These detail sheets were created before we learned about auto keynotes, so it is not a fields issue.

The search for that spurious file may be the culprit, but if there is no fix for it, I suppose we are stuck.

david_peterson
2005-03-04, 07:32 PM
can you post one of the drawings causing you problems?
Another thing I forgot to mention was registered applications.
You may have a bunch of info not required by your drawing in your drawing.
I have a file that went from 1mb to 100 kb after deleting the register applications.