PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Save to Central - Family "Missing"?!

photography67836
2005-02-28, 11:22 PM
Hi all,

This has already been mentioned in a previous thread. We have some deadlines, and this error is driving us crazy. Please see the attached message box. The Stacked Wall type it mentions are already in both the central and the local files. Aaaaahhh! Can anyone suggest at least a temporary fix?

Thanks,

sbrown
2005-03-01, 01:24 PM
all I can tell you is problems like this need to get sent to the factory for review and repair.

They prefer you post thru the subscription center, but you can allways call first and ask for help.

photography67836
2005-03-01, 08:37 PM
The file has now been sent to the developers for review and repair, courtesy of Wes Macaulay.

We both soon hope to find out what's causing this problem.

photography67836
2005-03-02, 05:06 PM
Okay, good news, problem solved! The error in the file was a user created error, but it is a glitch that is being looked at for future updates. Thanks to quick response from the developers, we can get back on this project!

What it is: The default Stacked Wall family calls for two wall types already in the projects. However, I did a Purge Unused, and this conveniently deleted one or both of the walls that the Stacked Wall referred to. This also deleted the Stacked Wall family, but Revit was not happy and by saving to central, I would get the message as shown in the image in the intitial post. This was a seemingly unfixable problem, since when I tried to bring in a stacked wall from another project, the message still came up and I could not save to central.

How to fix it: Copy and paste in, not only the Stacked Wall family from another project, but also the default walls that the Stacked Wall refers to.

Simple solution, but, only if you know what the solution is. :)

Wes Macaulay
2005-03-02, 08:12 PM
That makes me feel a whole lot better, Jason. Even if the user creates the problem, at least the user can fix it. Depending on Revit support is something no one should have to do.

plang
2005-05-09, 07:52 PM
Had the same problem, applied above solution and was ok for a couple saves, but has now resurfaced.

irwin
2005-05-11, 12:12 AM
Had the same problem, applied above solution and was ok for a couple saves, but has now resurfaced.
The screen shown in the picture isn't necessarily a contradiction. The project browser shows what families there were before the reload latest (or save to central, which internally does a reload latest), while the error dialog is telling you about the situation after reload latest. Somehow, reloading the project caused these stacked wall types to be deleted. Most likely, someone else deleted either those stacked wall types or something they depend on (such as one of the simple wall types they are composed of); reloading latest propagates this deletion to your local file.

plang
2005-05-11, 05:30 PM
if it were that simple...

the rub is that we (2 of us) have the same stacked wall types in the files, neither of us has deleted any more wall types since the first cause of what has become a cascade.

we have gotten out of the files, made sure the stacked wall exists, reloaded project standards, and generally done everything we can think of before creating a new central file, new local files, and every combination of half-steps in-between.

to wit: we created two files to get specific sheets sorted for looming deadline. a third user made a copy of mine, only zoomed in a viewport, and i was imediately unable to save, receiving the same message re: stacked walls. nonsensical, yes.

we've fired off emails to every contact we have at autodesk, but no response yet. after a liquid lunch, i plan on switching to being the annoying guy on the phone. we may not have time to ship the file off.

Wes Macaulay
2005-05-11, 05:55 PM
Try taking one of your local files, resaving it as central, and see if the new central file will work properly on this issue...

plang
2005-05-11, 07:15 PM
ole!

thanks, did that multiple times to no (positive) effect.

we've since been in contact with autodesk suport, and are currently waiting for the return of our -fixed- file. this is a glitch they know about- and fixable only at headquarters.

to quote,
"As far as I know, the problem is related to Revit keeping track of the last used (or default) type for each system family. This problem comes up when the default stacked wall type is incorrectly dropped for some reason.

This is why normally Revit does not let you delete the last type of a system family. In case of stacked wall type, we have a glitch that allows the last one to be deleted, and causes this ugly bug."

lev.lipkin
2005-05-11, 07:38 PM
Thanks for sending your model.

Unfortunately, Revit allows deletion of Stack Wall type (which is default for new Stack Walls) without changing to next available Stack Wall type, but catches problem later on.

The action which causes such problem (action about which we know) is deletion of basic wall type which is component of stack wall type (while stack wall type is default for new stack wall). As the result, stack wall type got deleted, and default stack type becomes invalid, creating problem which is catched later. Please avoid such deletions.

Sorry for inconveniences.

lupinz
2005-06-23, 05:35 PM
Hi all,
I am a new user for the augi....its a awsome forums, thank you all for sharing tips and solutions. Great job guys.

plang - I have the same issue as you, i am wondering if there is any update from autodesk, and also can you tell me how could i contact the autodesk headquarter?

and one more thing!...does anyone knows if this issue can be solved by upgrade the revit file to version 8? i am currently workign in version 7...thanks all

lupin

beegee
2005-06-23, 10:36 PM
Hi Lupin and welcome to the forums.

There was a new build of 8.0 posted yesterday , but I don't know at this stage if it addressed this problem. ( Will check and post back when I get time )

To contact Support: In Revit 7.0 or earlier, log into the Subscription Center at http://pointa.autodesk.com (http://pointa.autodesk.com/) and file your request. In Revit 8.0 or later (all disciplines) go to the Help menu in Revit, and chose Create Support Request.

lupinz
2005-06-23, 11:29 PM
hi beegee, i have just upgraded to revit 8, i did a bit test ride, seems like autodesk has fix the problem in revit 8, thanks for the tips everyone....i will you posted.

lupin

lupinz
2005-06-23, 11:30 PM
oops..i will keep you posted