PDA

View Full Version : acrobat plotting issues

jarod.tulanowski
2005-03-01, 02:23 PM
I seem to have so many problems plotting acrobat reader files. It seems to be one problem after another.

problem 1 multipage pdf file seems to only do half the set if computer memory runs out. the other half dumps out into individual files named after the sheet name.

problem 2 doing individual pdf files of a project just adds a number after the file. for example if the project is called test, and in the file you have sheets called a1.1 floor plan, a1.2 finish plan, etc... the name of the pdf files are test1, test2, etc... this works great for plotting in an order, but it sucks because I dont know what the sheet is called.

how is everyone handeleing this problem, or is it just me

P.S. the acrobat writer program we use is called docucom pdf writer, could this be the problem I am running into. I read somewhere that revits cd comes with a acrobat reader writer on the cd is this correct.

Thanks again

SkiSouth
2005-03-01, 03:09 PM
I'm running Windows Server 2003 for my operating system and the PDF writer furnished by Adesk will not work properly either. If you can get Adobe Acrobat Professional, it comes with its own PDF printer (fake printer) driver, and that's what I use to get PDF's out with.

jarod.tulanowski
2005-03-01, 03:12 PM
found this in printing tips

Printing Tips
Keyboard shortcut: CTRL+P.
When plotting a view, be sure that you have installed the most recent version of your printer's driver. Consult with the printer's manufacturer.
To print to PDF, choose the AutodeskĀ® RevitĀ® PDF Writer from the Printer name drop-down list. You can download the Autodesk Revit PDF Writer from http://revit.autodesk.com/download.asp.
To print to DWF, download the DWFwriter printer driver from http://revit.autodesk.com/download.asp.

If the print job is of substantial size, a Cancel button appears on the Status Bar. The file size necessary to trigger this option is dependent on system speed and amount of memory.
If you choose Print while the Project Browser is the active window in Autodesk Revit, the output is the contents of the Project Browser window.
In models with glass, the glass prints correctly in hidden line mode with raster processing, but the same model prints with opaque glass in Vector Processing mode. See Print Setup.

one problem though is this will not let me make a multipage pdf file I guess you take the good with the bad. it does plot the single pdf files correct, so this answers question number 2

sbrown
2005-03-01, 03:15 PM
The easiest work around I know or is to print to dwf first, then open the dwf and print the multipage dwf to a pdf file, now you have a multipage pdf.

jarod.tulanowski
2005-03-01, 03:17 PM
ahhh thanks for all the responses always a great help from you guys thanks

cadpoobah
2005-03-01, 03:52 PM
The easiest work around I know or is to print to dwf first, then open the dwf and print the multipage dwf to a pdf file, now you have a multipage pdf.
"easiest work around" seems like an oxymoron to me! :)
The reason we need a work around is because it ain't easy to begin with!
*sigh*

sbrown
2005-03-01, 04:04 PM
It ain't easy because the pdf writer hasn't been developed since release 3 or 4 due to the autodesk merger/dwf writer.

Scott D Davis
2005-03-01, 04:31 PM
We were SO close to having the multisheet PDF writer included in Revit. In fact, it was so close, that when the new release became available, some people's downloads (maybe 2 or 3) had it included, while the rest did not. Rumor is, Autodesk asked it to be pulled at the last moment. (This was the first Revit release under Autodesk....)

Scott Hopkins
2005-03-01, 05:28 PM
If someone has a copy of the illusory multi-sheet Revit PDF writer, Please post it!

Scott D Davis
2005-03-01, 05:44 PM
I think it was something in the main Revit program that wrote to the multisheet PDF. The Revit Hyperxpress PDF writer did not change. You'd have to get a copy of Revit 4.5 with the functionality enabled....nearly impossible to find I'm guessing.

Steve_Stafford
2005-03-01, 05:46 PM
It wasn't released in a version of Revit...just demonstrated at AU.

Zig
2005-03-02, 12:43 AM
I have problems wth acrobat as well. When I plot a batch of drawings either with the PDF Writer which comes with Revit or Acrobat 6 everthing seems to be fine - However when I try too assemble the pdfs into one multiple drawing file the sheet number (ie. A106) of the last drawing replaces the drawing numbers on sheets 2 through ....... It doesn't seem to make any sense but it happens consistently. When I open the individual PDF's the sheet numbers are fine?

mlgatzke
2005-03-02, 04:27 AM
I have problems wth acrobat as well. When I plot a batch of drawings either with the PDF Writer which comes with Revit or Acrobat 6 everthing seems to be fine - However when I try too assemble the pdfs into one multiple drawing file the sheet number (ie. A106) of the last drawing replaces the drawing numbers on sheets 2 through ....... It doesn't seem to make any sense but it happens consistently. When I open the individual PDF's the sheet numbers are fine?
Richard,

That's really odd. I use Acrobat 6 and always compile my sheets into multiple sheet PDFs and I don't run into this problem. Mine have always come out clean.

jarod.tulanowski
2005-03-02, 01:03 PM
Richard that is a windows bug. while selecting your files to add to the one large file you must select the last file first and then hold the shift button down and then grab the first one on the list. this always fixes the problem of selective sorting. this happens in every windows program while selecting. it is pretty funny.

P.S. to check the order look in your list after selecting and they should be in order

Zig
2005-03-04, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the input Jarod.
When I get a chance I try your suggestion.

truevis
2006-01-29, 02:19 PM
If someone has a copy of the illusory multi-sheet Revit PDF writer, Please post it!
I just print to multi-sheet DWF, then print from that to multi-sheet PDF. It's an imperfect world we live in.

Get-r-done.