PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Is there any way to get lights to snap to something when placing them?

patricks
2014-02-05, 03:23 PM
The default lay-in light fixture family has the origin point at the center of the fixture. Obviously there's nothing to snap to in the ceiling that coincides with the center of the fixture. So I tried changing the fixture's origin point to one corner of the fixture. However when placing the fixture it STILL will not snap to ceiling grid lines. I have to place the fixture willy-nilly, hit escape a few times, then select the fixture, move, and pick the corner of the fixture to then get in the correct location.

Why do lights behave like this?? And won't rotate with the space bar during placement, but that's another topic.

CADastrophe
2014-02-05, 03:34 PM
I don't think there is a solution to this, as I've tried to find one in the past. What's frustrating is that a Face-Based light fixture will snap to the Ceiling Grid lines upon placement, but a Ceiling-Hosted light fixture will not. :screwy:

I typically place one fixture, use the Align command to set it in the grid, and the Copy using the ceiling grid to snap to with the base point and the placement points.

cdatechguy
2014-02-05, 04:07 PM
Yeah, pretty messed up that the align tool works great but placement doesn't.....I tried to do the same thing changing the origin to a corner... :banghead: