PDA

View Full Version : 2014 parallels memory overload

scottyermer
2014-02-05, 10:54 PM
Hi,

Im using Revit on my mac with parallels and when I start rendering the memory fills up on the hard drive(the capacity is huge), which then slows everything down to the point that its not usable. Anyone out there now how to fix this?

Cheers

Scott

irneb
2014-02-06, 08:56 AM
Sorry, I've never used Parallels before. But I'd guess it has similar settings to other Virtual Machines. E.g. using either VMWare or VirtualBox I can specify how much of the physical RAM to give to the client OS. Remember that Revit (newer versions at least) require a minimum of 8GB to run smoothly, if your models are large then that might increase, if you're rendering then it's certain to increase. I'd say a minimum of 16GB allowed for Windows should be your aim if you're going to render.

If your computer/laptop doesn't have enough RAM to run its main OS (in your case OSX - in mine Kubuntu) while also giving the needed RAM to the client OS through the virtual machine manager (in your case Parallels, in mine VirtualBox) ... then you need to install Windows as a dual-boot setup: i.e. on a separate HDD / Partition - a guide to do this: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/89759-beginners-guide-dual-boot-windows-os-x.html

I'd actually recommend the dual-boot in any case, at least then the graphics card can be used directly by Revit instead of through a software intermediate driver as all these virtual machines do.

david_peterson
2014-02-06, 06:01 PM
Don't know if this is the same issue, but I've tried to do some rendering on some very large models. I've had it grind for 2 days, memory is maxed, it seems like it's going, then it just stops. but they were very large, very complex models.

Also I don't believe the video card has much to do with any rendering in revit. In fact I believe that's all done on the processor. Not sure about the vim boxes or macs, but on PC the Video card doesn't take any load.

scottyermer
2014-02-11, 12:45 AM
Thankyou for the responses, It turns out I had a load of viruses that came in while I was loading files into my drawing and now its all been cleaned up and I am able to render again.

I am going to give Parallels one more chance and if it troubles me again I will try Bootcamp.