PDA

View Full Version : 2014 BASE OFFEST

anderson-j9536305
2014-02-10, 11:04 AM
HI

Everytime i create a Wall it has a base offset of -4000.00, which is below ground level. when i change it to 0.0 the following error message appears "the top of the wall is lower than the base of the wall." The only option i have is to select cancel, when done so it seems to be ok but if i go to create another wall it is back to -4000.00. so i am wondering if there is any way to set the base offset to 0.0 permanently.

Many Thanks
Jordan

dhurtubise
2014-02-10, 12:06 PM
Just make sure the Top Constraint is above the level. My guess is your wall is now Base = Level 0 - 4000 and Top = Level 0

Craig_L
2014-02-10, 03:35 PM
Hi Jordan,
When you choose the structural element "wall" just below the menu bar you will see another set of menu appear.
Here you can choose "depth" or "height", and beside that will be a numerical value which you can edit as you please. Put in for example 1500mm and place a wall with a section view open. You will see that with "depth" and "1500mm" selected, your wall will place with the top of the wall on your workplane, and -1500mm below your workplane it will place the bottom of the wall. Change those settings to height and place another wall and it will place the BASE of the wall on your workplane, and the top point 1500mm ABOVE your work plane.

This allows you to place your walls either from a level (or workplane) downwards with a depth (which is the default), or from your level (workplane) upwards with a height.
Say for example - for placing your basement walls a depth may be more useful than a height.
This comes down to personal preference in the end, personally I prefer to work on my current workplane and "build" or model, upwards.

Simply selecting and changing this will cause your walls to place either above or below your workplane.
Its important to remember EVERYTHING you place in revit will be attached to a workplane, or a plane of reference (if you prefer). Everything is then offset, or adjusted IN RELATION TO its associated workplane, you can also choose to place your elements based on their top, middle, or bottom points (depending on the element). Beams for example can be placed (in relation to your workplane) either top/middle/bottom of element, and then in plan left/middle/right also.
Your walls have similar settings, where you can change (in the properties box) if the wall will place in plan, based on its centre, its interior, or exterior face (as well as its vertical displacement, you can control the horizontal placement).
Hope this helps.