PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Arrowhead question

harkeychad
2014-02-11, 06:10 PM
I typed this out earlier and could not find it so sorry to where it ended up. I am wanting to make this a arrowhead for notes and not sure how to go about it. Can anyone give me a nudge. Thanks.

Dimitri Harvalias
2014-02-11, 07:07 PM
Revit limits the 'styles' available to simpler defaults system families under 'additional settings > arrowheads'. Sorry, but this type of custom arrowhead is not possible.

MikeJarosz
2014-02-11, 08:02 PM
That arrowhead is made from an Acad variable width polyline.

Let go of Acad, please.

harkeychad
2014-02-11, 08:15 PM
Darn it. I am talking him into moving some to revit so anything I can do to keep it like he likes is good for me.

MikeJarosz
2014-02-11, 10:02 PM

Some people don't like change. When Acad started making inroads into hand drafted construction documents, there were several fonts available that mimicked hand lettering. This made the pencil people feel like they were less threatened. There was even a line style called freehand that looked like a cocktail napkin sketch. The drawings really did look like they were freehanded. The results actually looked pretty good. As the pencil people moved on however, I saw less and less of the freehand stuff. Now, I don't think they are even available as a default anymore.

DaveP
2014-02-17, 02:12 PM
That's almost a universal reaction when people first get in to Revit:
"But, I want it to look exactly like it did in AutoCAD"

That's completely the wrong focus.
Let's start with thew acronyms used:
CAD: Computer Aided Drafting
BIM: Building Information Modeling
If your focus is simply on the lines that are on the paper, then CAD is for you.
But if you're concerned about the building that's going to be built, and the information used to build that building, then BIM is the way to go.
Ask your boss which he would prefer:
An arrowhead that looks exactly like he's used to
Or a Door Schedule that he has to put in zero effort to coordinate and maintains perfect accuracy.
A difference in arrowheads changes nothing about the building.
An uncoordinated Door Schedule can cost thousand$ in field changes.

Dimitri Harvalias
2014-02-17, 05:50 PM
Mike, Dave,
again with the 'logical' arguments... that's so lame ;)
Don't take it personally harkeychad. It's not you we are giving grief. We've all just heard so many of these irrational 'Revit just can't do the job we need it do' justifications for not adopting. As many have pointed out, the powers that be need to learn the difference between preferences and requirements.
My last comment will be to ask the partner who may be demanding this to take a hard look at the 'actual' plotted size of that arrow head and not a 25x enlargement. Plot a couple of sheets out, then plot them out again at 50% reduction, and tell him to have a good close look at the arrowheads. Do they really make that big a difference?

CADastrophe
2014-02-17, 09:12 PM
I fully agree with what's being said here. However, I just wanted to add that sometimes it's not always for aesthetic reasons that one wishes to maintain company "customizations" such as arrowheads and schedules. I'm from an MEP firm, and we (as most other firms do) have a unique appearance to our drawings, ranging from different blocks to arrowheads to linetypes (in AutoCAD of course). Our drawings (or even small portions of them) are actually readily recognized on sight by many manufacturers and contractors, which aids us in a few different ways. (We have our name on the drawings, too, of course.)

However, the projects that we do in Revit do not possess the same uniqueness that our AutoCAD drawings do, so we sacrifice this "signature" appearance as a compromise to using Revit and its more powerful features and tools, as mentioned in previous posts here.

patricks
2014-02-19, 04:40 PM
We were using a "hand-lettering" font on our Revit drawings for a number of years. We have recently moved on to the more compact, and I think, easier to read Calibri font. Looks nice on notes and dimensions.

MikeJarosz
2014-02-24, 06:14 PM
A fact that might not be well known is that some fonts were designed (especially by Adobe) to use less ink. On an 8.5x11 sheet that might not be important, but on 600 36x48 sheets, it makes a difference.