PDA

View Full Version : 2014 revising shared parameters

MikeJarosz
2014-02-18, 04:48 PM
I inherited a project that created a shared parameter as a number. It should have been text, which is more flexible. The advice I've seen on AUGI is that I can delete the parameter from the SP file, and recreate it with the correct properties.

However, I recall that the last time I tried that (several versions back), I could not reuse the same parameter name, I had to find a new one. Has that changed? BTW: the parameter name is "Program ID" which is the term we all use in my office. I would hate to have to use a different ID just because Revit says I have to!

dhurtubise
2014-02-18, 05:01 PM
Revit doesn't use the parameter name but the GUID

MikeJarosz
2014-02-18, 05:43 PM
Revit doesn't use the parameter name but the GUID

So, after the parameter including the GUID (27 digits and growing) has been deleted, I can create a new one with exactly the same name?

I recall from my first encounter with parameters (it could have been project parameters) that after I deleted a parameter I could not recreate it with the same name. What am I recalling? A really old problem that's long been fixed and no one around today even knows it ever existed?

Steve_Stafford
2014-02-18, 06:59 PM
You'll have to remove the offending shared parameter from the project(s) and/or family(ies). When you try to load a new parameter that is using the same name (literal name, not GUID) Revit does pop up an error message. It's easy to swap one out for a SP using a different name, not as easy when the name is the same.

You can delete the original from the Shared Parameter file. Then you need to eliminate it from the project/family. Since they are not using the same Data Type you can't just swap out the parameter for a different Shared Parameter.

MikeJarosz
2014-02-18, 10:40 PM
Deleting the shared parameter as number and recreating it as shared parameter as text worked.