PDA

View Full Version : Any way to copy a Legend from one Project to Another?

hand471037
2005-03-02, 12:59 AM
I'm hoping yes, but I'm thinking no. :D

Scott D Davis
2005-03-02, 01:34 AM
i tried cut-n-paste...no go.

i tried to Group the Legend so I could save the group.....nope.

how about, Export>image, then Import>Image in new file....nahh....that's horrible!

Ok, need a few new "Save" functions. We currently have "Save Family" and "Save Group", so I think we need "Save Legend" and "Save Drafting View"

hand471037
2005-03-02, 01:41 AM
i tried cut-n-paste...no go.

how about, Export>image, then Import>Image in new file....nahh....that's horrible!
Yea, ran through all of those, too. :D

Ok, need a few new "Save" functions. We currently have "Save Family" and "Save Group", so I think we need "Save Legend" and "Save Drafting View"
Oh heck yeah! That would so rock. The ability to move Drafting Views from one project to another would solve a lot of issues...

Scott D Davis
2005-03-02, 02:01 AM
Sign us up for two new file extensions! RLV and RDV

Revit Legend View
Revit Drafting View
Of course, both of these new file types need to have previews in Windows Explorer....;)

beegee
2005-03-02, 02:23 AM
I don't know why this doesn't work for you, but it works for me.

I created a group fpr the legend, saved the group ( Save to Library Save Group ).
Started a new project, loaded the group. ( under Group detail Items )
Started a new legend and dragged the group into the legend view.
Viola !

Scott D Davis
2005-03-02, 05:48 AM
hmmm...I know why! I didn't group the components in the legend view, I tried to group the actual entire view!

So you grouped just those components in the view, then saved to group, then opened in another legend in another project.....cool!

beegee
2005-03-02, 05:51 AM
hmmm...I know why! I didn't group the components in the legend view, I tried to group the actual entire view!!I'm not sure what you mean Scott. I grouped the components and the text descriptions.

Scott D Davis
2005-03-02, 05:56 AM
I took the legend view with components in it, put it on a sheet, and then tried to group the view from the sheet. It wouldn't let me. I thought about grouping the components inside of the legend, but thought that would simply get me a group of components. I didn't think of opening that group inside of a legend view in a new project.

beegee
2005-03-02, 06:03 AM
Ahh well, that explains it then. :wink:

SCShell
2005-03-02, 01:08 PM
Hey there,
This remindes me of trying to cut and paste a Word or Wordperfect document into Revit. You must start your text command to get the text prompt before you try to paste into it.
Kinda similar?
Steve

jarod.tulanowski
2005-03-02, 01:21 PM
great tip guys I was trying to figure that one out thanks a bunch

WolffG
2005-03-02, 01:27 PM
I wonder if you could set up a legend as a symbol and insert it.
That's what I have done with my general notes.
I have also set up a symbol for a smoke detector so I can insert it into a floor plan when I don't include a ceiling plan with the drawings.

May be worth a try?

hand471037
2005-03-02, 09:31 PM
Couldn't Group it 'cause I didn't have the workset checked out to me.

But I was able to cut-and-paste the contents by making a new legend in the new project of the same name & scale. That worked fine.

But wouldn't it be nice to be able to just drag drafting views and legends from one project to another? ;)

Scott D Davis
2005-03-02, 09:53 PM
But wouldn't it be nice to be able to just drag drafting views and legends from one project to another?
Ohhhhh YEAH!

Another reason why I would like to be able to open just the Project Browser from another project...<austin powers> drag-and-drop baby! Yeah!

office5280
2011-04-27, 04:01 PM
Not sure if this is out of date or not. I was able to get it to work by copying from the legend view, (i was doing a symbol legend) and pasting into a new blank legend view in my other project. Worked alright.

I couldn't seem to get the other idea of save as group to work though.

hadlari
2011-04-27, 07:20 PM
Not sure if this is out of date or not. I was able to get it to work by copying from the legend view, (i was doing a symbol legend) and pasting into a new blank legend view in my other project. Worked alright.

I couldn't seem to get the other idea of save as group to work though.

Yes this method works fine.

Just make sure both projects are open in the same revit session. both legends are the same scale. and when pasting use the paste button is the modify tab and select paste from clipboard.

Teresa.Martin
2011-04-28, 06:29 PM
Now if we could just find a way to get curtain walls into legends!!!!!

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-04-29, 04:09 AM
Think 'Assemblies' ;)
Okay, not strictly a legend but probably does the job me thinks.

SCShell
2011-05-02, 01:07 PM
Now if we could just find a way to get curtain walls into legends!!!!!

Hey there,
Interior elevations for curtain walls, with no Drawing View Title and manually aligned in the Legend View.
That's been my work around and it looks good.
Good Luck
Steve
http://forums.augi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=67938&d=1253980929

Baldwin_4-6-0
2011-05-02, 07:09 PM
I was just copying Legends from one project to another this morning.

Copy & Paste works for me across projects. Open the Legend view, copy drafting components & text, then in the other project create new legend at the same scale and paste in.

No problems.

Haden
2011-07-20, 04:35 PM
Oh heck yeah! That would so rock. The ability to move Drafting Views from one project to another would solve a lot of issues...

Actually, that function already exists. Insert tab - Insert from File panel - Insert Views from File. Then you browse for the project that contains the views, and check the views off the list, which includes drafting views, schedules and sheets. I like to create a new empty project and insert the views I will want to make available to other projects, and save that as a seed-project file.

(Now if they would only include Legends in this picklist, we would have it!) 8-)