PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Dialogue box “Detach and discard Worksets” not appearing when detaching from Central

jloulton585599
2014-03-10, 03:06 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to create a new stand alone file from an existing central file going by the traditional open>"detached from central" route. Typically after this step you are presented with the “Detach and discard Worksets” dialogue box where you can then discard worksets. However, this option is not being presented (working in Revit 2011 anyways).

The result is that I'm creating a disassociated new central file with worksets still preserved. The desired outcome is simply a copy of the central file that is an independent standalone new non-workshared project file.

I'm working in 2011 as it is the office standard here and allows for compatibility with consultants fyi. Is this just a symptom of this version of Revit or is something else happening here? It's not the biggest deal to have it act as a central file, just a bit annoying as that is not it's purpose and is not necessary and possibly confusing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Johnny

CADastrophe
2014-03-10, 04:13 PM
Hello, and welcome to AUGI!

Are you only encountering this issue with that particular Project file or can you reproduce the behavior with another Worksharing-Enabled Project?

jloulton585599
2014-03-10, 05:29 PM
Hey Corey,

Thanks for replying! I just created a dummy project in 2011 and then enabled worksharing and made it a central file. I then tried opening it and detaching it from the central. It acted the same way, just opened the file (with the Detach from central box checked) but didn't prompt me with a dialogue box asking me if I wanted to discard worksets etc...it just opened the project with worksets preserved.

CADastrophe
2014-03-10, 05:41 PM
I'm not certain if that is a behavior of Revit 2011 but unfortunately, I do not have access to Revit 2011 to test this. The only other suggestion I can make is to test for this behavior on a different computer.

david_peterson
2014-03-10, 05:41 PM
I'm wondering if this is another .net issue (windows programming update)
Do you know what version of .net you are currently on?
I know when we upgraded to 2014 (which requires .net 4.5) they provided a service pack for 2013 so it would be compatible.
Just a thought.

damon.sidel
2014-03-10, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately, disabling Worksharing was a new feature in Revit 2012, so you won't be able to do it in 2011.

jloulton585599
2014-03-10, 08:50 PM
I thought I saw something about that not being available in 2011. Thanks for the confirmation!

I'm in a position where I may be analysing models that were created using Revit 2011 from disparate sources, many that may be copies of central models (that I guess will be detached with worksharing still enabled). Can anybody see any drawbacks to this besides some annoying pop ups when opening the project? I'm assuming that even though it is detached with work sharing enabled, there won't ever be any issues with edit-ability of any of the workset/model contents. Basically looking for reasons to push a more recent version of Revit as an office standard (including a mandatory requirement for consultants submitting Revit models).

Again, thanks a bunch! This forum is looking like a great resource.

jloulton585599
2014-03-10, 09:02 PM
As mentioned above, I had seen somewhere that it just wasn't a feature that was available with Revit 2011. Not sure if this would be something that could be fixed with a service pack upgrade for 2011. I think I experienced something similar to what you have experienced when using 2012 (I have all 4 previous versions of Revit loaded on my workstation), where some of my editing tools disappeared randomly....apparently this is due to some issues that occur when you have multiple versions of Revit loaded and can be fixed when upgrading your .net. Haven't tried cause it's not an issue with 2011 and 2014.

david_peterson
2014-03-10, 09:14 PM
It is an issue with 2013 and 2014. You need the service pack for 2013 installed prior to installing 2014 in able to use it. 2014 requires .net 4.5.
With your central file question, the only thing I would be worried about is sending back.
Personally I would open it detached and save as a new central file and work with it as you normally would.
Once you've detached and saved as it shouldn't matter if it was a copy of a central file or even a copy of a local file. It's now a new central.