PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Linked file cannot be reloaded...

squidly
2014-04-02, 08:27 PM
because it is loaded into another open document".

i'm getting this message though the linked file isn't open in any other file it's linked into; it's only open by itself, which shouldn't qualify as "another open document". i haven't had a problem reloading the link in the past with it open but now it wants me to close the open file in order to reload. Can anyone tell me what's going on here? Thanks much

damon.sidel
2014-04-02, 08:50 PM
I'm in Somerville, too. :)

So you have two files open in the same instance of Revit? File A is the main and file B is linked into A? I think you can do this as long as in file A, the link is set to Overlay. It's possible it was changed to Attached, which would give you this problem. If my assumptions are correct, your choices are:
1. Change the link to Overlay.
2. Work on file A in one session of Revit and work on file B in a second session.

squidly
2014-04-02, 09:01 PM
There seem to be a few of us. Glad to bump into..

The file is set to overlay, so i'm confused as to why it won't let me reload without closing the other file. Maybe as you suggest i'll have to open another Revit session, but with this big file i'd like not to. Thanks

squidly
2014-04-04, 06:07 PM
Ok i think i'm getting closer to the answer, but i'm still confused. It seems that because i have another file linked into the file i'm trying to reload, and that's defined as an Attachment, the file won't reload. This seems strange, as if the linked file as attachment is considered to be a file my reload file is linked in to. Does this make sense to anyone?

david_peterson
2014-04-07, 02:40 PM
Yep. The old Circular reference problem. Lesson learned, always use overlay and never attach.