PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Add-on question?

carl.atanasovski
2014-04-17, 06:28 PM
Does anyone know if I upgrade to Revit 2014 if I can still use some of my old add-ons from 2013, will they work in 2014?

thanks

Carl

CADastrophe
2014-04-17, 06:32 PM
Hi Carl, and welcome to AUGI!

You will have to find the Revit 2014 version of whatever Add-Ins you use. The authors of the Add-Ins must re-work and adjust them to keep up with the changes that Revit undergoes between releases.

carl.atanasovski
2014-04-17, 06:42 PM
I thought so. Thanks for the quick response.

jsteinhauer
2014-04-18, 01:56 PM
Corey,

I have been asked by management to develop a process for linking Revit with some of our custom tools/software. I was going to propose that we hire a programmer to write a custom add-on to link Revit elements with an external database, making it deployable to all seats, w/o spending 10's of thousands on licenses from 3rd party vendors. I supposed it depends on what is being looked at, but would we need to retain the Programmer's services from now to eternity to make sure updates don't kill our app? I'm sure there are potential efficiencies that could be leveraged when more of the API is made available, but I haven't gotten into API so I don't really know.

Thanks,
Jeff S.

CADastrophe
2014-04-18, 02:25 PM
Sounds like there's a lot of job security in it for the programmer! ;) I haven't gotten too far into the API and I am not familiar with all of the available Revit Add-ins, but I don't know of any that work across different releases.

dhurtubise
2014-04-22, 10:16 AM
The people we work with includes the migration cost with all our custom tools. We don't retain the source code though.