PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Roof with ribs to soffit

stephanschneller
2014-04-23, 02:37 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to recreate a roof which has ribs to its underside (refer to attachment)

The roof was originately create in Rhino.

I've imported the Rhino model via mass family and am able to create a roof via massing tools (roof by face)

Now, Im struggling with the ribs.

My approach was to set up 'dummy walls', attach them to the underside of the roof and then use the intersection tool to create a beam (structural frame) using the 3d pick tool.

It kind of works but needs quite a bit of tidying up.

I was wondering whether whether someone could come up with a better idea?

Many thanks in advance.

Stephan

david_peterson
2014-04-23, 05:32 PM
Looks like a waffle slab to me. Why not use concrete beams/joist with a floor over the top? Or is this a dome? The dome could get tricky.

stephanschneller
2014-04-23, 08:00 PM
Hi Dave,

Sorry I forgot to mention that the roof is curved....so yes that's the tricky bit...

...any suggestions?

Thank you

david_peterson
2014-04-23, 08:24 PM
Are the ribs in a straight line or are they curve as well?
As long as they are in a straight line (grid type pattern), I'd create a ref plane in plane, name it, then got to an elevation that's perp to the work plane. Set the work plane to the ref plane, draw a model line at the correct radius. Then use the beam tool with the "pick" option selected and pick the line.
Sim to what you're doing with the wall tool.
But if you're using beam and picking the line, you can set the location of the line to the edge of the top side of the beam isn't poking thru the roof slab.
Hope this helps.

stephanschneller
2014-04-24, 10:07 AM
Thank you Dave,

I'll try your approach too....either way seems there is no easy solution.

Cheers.