PDA

View Full Version : double slope roof problem - please help

sarah.auffet
2005-03-02, 10:29 PM
i am looking to build a roof where i can keep the top of steel level on the north and south, and let the east slope at 1/4" per foot and the west slope at 1/8" per foot. please see attached image. i know it's possible to build it, but i need to model it in revit. the result is a roof with only one point at 1/8" and one at 1/4", and at every other point the slope is something different. anyone know if this is possible in revit?

i really appreciate your input..... ~sarah

ejburrell67787
2005-03-03, 01:06 PM
It looks to me like you are trying to create a twisted roof form, is that correct? (Or a ruled surface maybe) This might be possible through making an in-place roof family and constructing it as a solid form using the blend option....?

Roof gurus where are you....?

Phil Read
2005-03-03, 01:31 PM
This should illustrate one way to create the blend.

All the best -

Phil

ejburrell67787
2005-03-03, 02:39 PM
I see, of course! You sketched the two different sloped sections because they can be in the same workplane. Nice one!

sarah.auffet
2005-03-03, 03:32 PM
yes, phil! that's exactly what i'm looking to do. what two planes did you sketch to get the blend? i can see you've done what i want, but i have no clue how you did it. if you could walk me through it, i'd be sooo grateful!

sarah.auffet
2005-03-03, 03:52 PM
oh, i think i get it now from looking at the model.... that's how i had been hand sketching it out, too, but that makes more sense now that you've gone "past" the curved edge with a second parallel plane and then just cut extrusions. i haven't done blends yet even though i knew they were possible. learning new things in this program everyday... :) thanks so much for your help!!

lev.lipkin
2005-03-03, 09:36 PM
In addition to using in-place roof family, you can create Mass or Generic component with face matching top or bottom face of desired roof, and use Roof->Pick Face command. This will allow you to use regular roof type and display layers in views with Detail Level set to Fine or Medium.

sarah.auffet
2005-03-04, 03:00 PM
is this once i've already built the blend?

aaronrumple
2005-03-04, 03:20 PM
No. A standard roof cannot be used to create a warped surface as shown in your project....

lev.lipkin
2005-03-04, 07:04 PM
In 7.0 after Mass or Generic component with blend-shaped face is created, Roof By Pick Face allows to apply regular roof type to that face. Yes, blend should be created first.

tgrinstead
2005-04-07, 12:34 AM
In addition to using in-place roof family, you can create Mass or Generic component with face matching top or bottom face of desired roof, and use Roof->Pick Face command. This will allow you to use regular roof type and display layers in views with Detail Level set to Fine or Medium.

I have a similar condition - a roof that slopes differently along two adjacent sides. I have a problem where the section I created by picking faces of massing elements doesn't seem to cut in the correct place. It seems to be showing the whole roof form, not cutting it. This ignores the skylight openings I created using the void tool in the massing mode. Is this a problem frequently encountered when you cut sections through roof forms created in this manner?

Is there a display setting I am not using?

lev.lipkin
2005-04-07, 03:20 PM
First time I hear about such issue. Could you get your model to Support? Thanks.