PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Sloped walls

matt__w
2014-05-09, 10:47 AM
I'm modeling an underground utility tunnel and almost all of the walls (except for the ones at the vaults) slope up/down depending on the surface. What's the best way to model something like this? I was thinking maybe walls wouldn't be the easiest because I'd have to constantly change the profile of them. Maybe an extrusion of some sort would be better? I'll need to show sections/elevations of tunnel to illustrate the mechanical piping that will be stacked vertically along the walls inside. Any thoughts? There's probably close to a 1/2 mile of tunnel that will need to be modeled. The walls/roof/floors don't have to be actual wall/roof/floor elements.

Thanks in advance!
Matt

david_peterson
2014-05-09, 01:20 PM
model your base/floor slab and top/roof slabs first. Use slope arrows to get the correct elevations you need as your tunnel goes up and down. Then draw the side walls. Go to a 3d view or an elevation, select the wall and use the attach top/base tool. Attached the top to the roof slab, and the base to floor slab. Done.
Hope this helps.

matt__w
2014-05-09, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to tackle it from a different angle. I have the tunnels already modeled in Civil 3D so I think I'm going to try exporting the centerline of the tunnels to a DWG and use that as a sweep path. I'll use two rectangles as the walls and floor/roof of the tunnel to create a profile for the sweep. In theory, this should be pretty easy and faster to accomplish. *fingers crossed* :)

david_peterson
2014-05-09, 02:03 PM
Good luck with the sweep. Let us know how that approach works out.
If you've already got it modeled in Civ 3d, couldn't you just link that model in?