PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Strange elevation in Architectural model

stuthill1106
2014-05-20, 08:04 PM
I have a file we received from the architect where the elevation differs from that on the datum. I have developed a "Revit Template" for exporting Arch and Engineering backgrounds for our MEP coordination to CAD by linking their files into a drawing with the datum, grid, and 3D views all set up. That way, when we get the most recent Revit files from the architect or structural engineer, I have the views all ready to go and I can easily export all 5-30 drawings. The problem is, the architect used what seems to be a land surveyors reference point for his elevation of zero. When I export their drawings they're coming in 18' too low. However in their Revit model, their datum says Level One is at 18 feet but it's actually at zero feet. I didn't think that was possible in Revit. I was under the impression that you couldn't "fake" in elevations. I was able to move the link in our "template" up 18 feet so that everything matched, but I want to know if there's some setting I can just change that the architect may have on that's causing this. I don't like the idea of manually moving the architectural drawing. I hope I am explaining this in an understandable way.

It's not the way I'm exporting because the structural exports perfectly.

Steve_Stafford
2014-05-20, 08:28 PM
The tool Relocate Project is a sleight of hand that changes Revit's frame of reference. When people use it to move their project up to a real elevation the project isn't really moving at all. Revit is just moving the numbers.

You could do the same thing with your model, then they'd both know how same magic trick was done.
You can also use Acquire Coordinates.

In either case you need to change the Elevation Base setting (Type Parameter) for your Level type to show Survey Point, not Project Base Point.

stuthill1106
2014-05-20, 08:53 PM
That's it! Project Locate Tool! Man, you're awesome! That's the second time you've bailed me out. I owe you a coke ;) . :Puffy:

Steve_Stafford
2014-05-20, 09:09 PM
...I owe you a coke ;) ...no Pepsi, actually I prefer Ginger Ale (Vernor's if you want to get specific)

Glad you're back on track. :Puffy:

MikeJarosz
2014-05-21, 02:33 PM
no Pepsi, actually I prefer Ginger Ale (Vernor's if you want to get specific)

Glad you're back on track. :Puffy:

You're in California. They have Vernor's there? I thought Vernor's was local to Buffalo, where I grew up!!!

Steve_Stafford
2014-05-21, 05:03 PM
wandering off topic...

It's distributed nationally now. It was created by James Vernor in Detroit. The Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors) has more information (and it's somewhat different too) about it than I read many years ago. Regardless it's been around for a long time, oldest surviving ginger ale sold in US. It also mentions a Boston Cooler, never heard it called that but I must say Vernor's and vanilla ice cream is a remarkably good thing. Time for another :Puffy: