PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Refencing a Level in a Titleblock Label?

jonathanh669363
2014-05-30, 04:38 PM
Hi, this is my first post here. I've learned a lot from reading these forums, but I haven't found an answer to my question so here goes.

I'm setting up Revit for my company (precast concrete) we need our production cut sheets to reference the floor level each piece is on. We're talking hundreds of cut sheets per project, so not something that I want to be done manually. So I want to add a label to the titleblock that will display the floor level/reference level.

It seems like there should be a shared parameter or something already, so maybe I'm just not finding it?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

buchrick344977
2014-05-30, 06:53 PM
If I understand you correctly, the parameter that you are looking for is named Associated Level. Each Plan/ RCP has this parameter, and can be referenced as part of the View Title.

However, I have not found a way for the Parameter to recognize a view when it is part of the titleblock. I can add the parameter to the titleblock, but when loaded in to a project it remains blank, "?". Typically when I see the "?" I need to load the SP in to the project and assign it to the correct category. Because this is a system parameter I have not found a way to modify its category.

Could you use the View Title to display the level?

Rick

jonathanh669363
2014-05-30, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the reply Rick.

I think I'm missing a step here. I'm relatively new to creating and adding labels and shared parameters. We didn't get into this in school at all, our focus was completely on modelling.

When I click on Shared parameters in a project, I don't see Associated Level as an option. And in a View title family, I don't even have to option of adding new parameters in the Edit label box (it's greyed out). In a title block family, I have access to a lot more Shared parameters, but it's not there either.

As far I know, there is only the one Shared Parameter file, which was there from the start and is where all the parameters I've created are. Associated Level doesn't seem like the type of thing I'd have to create though... or is it?

Jonathan

CADastrophe
2014-05-30, 07:42 PM
Even if you did add a Shared Parameter, it would be in no way automatic. Any such parameter (Project Parameter or Parameter within the Title Block Family) would require manually entry. You could create a View List (Views tab » Schedules ▼ View List) and then sort it by "Associated Level" to help with the process, only because you can include "Sheet Name" in the Schedule. If you are labeling the Level with a different parameter, this won't help.

In regards to Rick's post, I don't see a way to add "Associated Level" to a View Title Family's Label using Revit 2014. Each View has a Parameter named "Associated Level", but I do not believe there is any means of reporting this in the Title Block or View Title.

jonathanh669363
2014-05-30, 07:57 PM
Eve Each View has a Parameter named "Associated Level", but I do not believe there is any means of reporting this in the Title Block or View Title.

So it's a "parameter" in the sense that it is a varying, controlling value, but not a Parameter that can be accessed by other families or labels?

And because the Plan is a system family, I suppose I can't edit it and give it another "Reported Level" parameter that I could then reference from the titleblock, can I?

CADastrophe
2014-05-30, 08:51 PM
Correct. You could add a Project Parameter to the Views Category, and that would allow you to input any value you want, but it could not be directly linked to the "Associated Level" Parameter or any other Parameter for that matter. One can only assign formulas and link Parameters with the Family Editor.

jonathanh669363
2014-06-02, 03:52 PM
Well that's annoying... Thanks for the help though guys, much appreciated!

dhurtubise
2014-06-03, 07:37 AM
You can use the API to do that though. We use a tool that fills the Level of the view/views on each sheet and also deals with elevation & sections. Very CAD way of using information but since it's so tedious and that the information is there we turned to the API to make the process much faster.
Unfortunately some tings cannot be changed just yet

buchrick344977
2014-07-02, 07:32 PM
Jonathan

I'm sorry that I haven't stayed current with this thread.

As I originally stated, this parameter will be added to the View title and not the Titleblock. This will only work for plan views not sections or elevations. This is all done thru Revit and not the API.

In the project, go to the Family section of the Browser. Expand the Category Annotations. Right click on the view title and select Edit. You should now be in the View Title family editor.

On the create tab, select the Label tool and locate as if it was the text tool (click in the drawing area). Now the Edit Label dialog box will appear. At the top of the list on the left is the parameter Associated Level, double click on it. It will now display on the right side. (Refer to attachment: Family) Apply and OK. You may adjust the location as desired. Once complete use the Load into Project tool.

Now you are back in the project. If you have plan views on sheets already, navigate to one of those views. You will notice the View Title is updated automatically. (Refer to attachment: Project)

If it the view title doesn't display the Associated Level, check the Type Parameter of the viewport to verify the Title is the same as the family that you just edited.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Rick

dhurtubise
2014-07-03, 06:36 AM
To complete the previous post.
The Associated Level is only available in 2015 and to be use on your Viewports it won't show on your titleblock