PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Lines in in-place model disappearing

drubinoff
2014-07-07, 01:17 AM
I have a temporary in-place model of an under-counter freezer which, for the time being, is just some "specialty equipment" lines indicating freezer doors.

They show up when the view is set for wireframe, but disappear when "hidden line" is selected.

I don't want them to disappear when "hidden line" is selected!

Anyone have a solution short of creating a 3D model of the equipment?

Thanks,
Derek

drubinoff
2014-07-07, 01:48 AM
Well, it seems somehow a floor was in the way, even though when I deleted the floor it the lines still didn't show up. However, when I typed "vv" and turned off floors in the view, they showed up.

Life would be easier if we could just ask Revit why it behaves certain ways. This is coming from someone who has used Revit for seven years on 150-odd projects.

dkoch
2014-07-07, 01:05 PM
Have you modeled the counter under which this under-counter freezer is placed? If so, what object type was used for the counter? Could it be a Floor?

DaveP
2014-07-07, 07:27 PM
Life would be easier if we could just ask Revit why it behaves certain ways.
If there were one reason things like this happened, it would be great to have Revit tell you.
But there are probably 35 different possibilities as to why something isn't showing.

Category is off
Workset is not loaded
Object is hidden in View
etc, etc, etc

How is Revit supposed to know which one you did intentionally and which one accidentally?
Or should it list all 35?

MikeJarosz
2014-07-07, 08:32 PM
Think of it like a nerd would. DaveP lists three possible reasons why an object might not show. That makes 8 possible combinations of on/off. The object will only show if all three are on. That means 7 combos will not work. Expand the list to 4 possibilities and the list will have 16 total combos. In other words, the number of possibilities is 2^n. If Dave were to list all 35, it would be 2^35. That would be an impossible number to even write out, let alone investigate.

drubinoff
2014-07-08, 01:56 PM
Have you modeled the counter under which this under-counter freezer is placed? If so, what object type was used for the counter? Could it be a Floor?

The counter was properly modelled as casework; the doors for the freezer (which are lines only) stick out beyond (on purpose).

drubinoff
2014-07-08, 02:01 PM
Think of it like a nerd would. DaveP lists three possible reasons why an object might not show. That makes 8 possible combinations of on/off. The object will only show if all three are on. That means 7 combos will not work. Expand the list to 4 possibilities and the list will have 16 total combos. In other words, the number of possibilities is 2^n. If Dave were to list all 35, it would be 2^35. That would be an impossible number to even write out, let alone investigate.

Speaking as a long-time user, this is a general problem I and my employees have with Revit. Simple, frustrating issues turn into Sherlock Holmes problems. It's easy to make confounding mistakes in Revit. Good users tend to have accumulated wisdom regarding what weird things typically go wrong.

I have no idea how it would work, but Revit would be much more user-friendly if there was a way of trouble-shooting issues--perhaps like the "talking" paper clip in MS Word. But, I suppose that's what this board is for.