PDA

View Full Version : rendered elevations

Max Lloyd
2005-03-04, 01:27 PM
Hi everyone, just thought it had been a while so here is a little rendered elevation I did.

I really like this technique, looks great.

Max.

Joef
2005-03-04, 02:44 PM
Very nice! What do you use to create the grey area below grade?

Henry D
2005-03-04, 03:23 PM
I really like these...very clean look, the brick looks great.

Max Lloyd
2005-03-04, 03:25 PM
Thanks. Its a 3d view, orientated to a section I took on the site.

Its all following on from Beegee's march 1st pre-gallery section. I had actually done this last week, and was unclear how the grey had appeared as previously there was no material there. After reading through this thread http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=3457&page=2&pp=10 I realised that in release 7 the ground takes on the material of the poche material (in this instance there is actually no material assigned, therefore you get the standard grey colour.) whereas previously I had done this in release 6 where no material would be assigned.

Its worth a read of that thread, you can produce some really nice images this way.

bowlingbrad
2005-03-04, 04:22 PM
How have you dealt with the issue of "the color on the screen looks great, but the printed output is nowhere close!"?

We are still doing our color elevations like Neanderthals:
Export Revit elevation to ACAD
Draw polylines for color fills
Export to Adobe Illustrator via CAD Publisher software
Fill polylines with color.
Print, fix color, print fix color, repeat, repeat, repeat. :banghead:

How long did it take you to get this rendered output?

Could you please expand on your technique so that I can try this and look like a genius here at work? :wink:

Max Lloyd
2005-03-04, 04:40 PM
How have you dealt with the issue of "the color on the screen looks great, but the printed output is nowhere close!"?

Could you please expand on your technique so that I can try this and look like a genius here at work? :wink:

Hi there. Its reasonably simple actually, just takes a while to 'stumble' across it.

You can not simply render a straight elevation or section view, only 3d views. To get around this, open the 3d view, drop down the 'view' button on the top menu bar, go to 'orient', then select 'to other view'. It then offers you any view you happen to have set up in the file. Select the elevation or section that you would like to render. Your 3d view then orientates itself perfectly to that view.

You are now free to render the image as you normally would do. I tend to set it to about 300dpi, check the shadows are going in the direction you want. Should take about 20mins to render maximum.

As with any rendered view, the trick is to have the materials correctly and well assigned. It takes a while to find materials that work well but there is nothing thats not available either in the accurender pre-defined library or on one of the many websites that have material textures on them. The other trick is to get good lighting and shadows. Takes a bit of experimentation, but its not too tricky.

(You can also use this process for rendering plan views, and as a little bonus, when the 3d view has oriented itself, try clicking the dynamic view button and spin the view. Looks great)

Hope this is useful, certainly seems that you guys are going the very long way around to obtain what, with a little practice will be easy to achieve in revit.

Good luck,

Max.

Paul P.
2005-03-04, 04:49 PM
Hi Max, could you please tell me what the brick material you are using, is it one from the library or one you have picked up from somewhere else. Were just playing around with rendering an orientated 3D view at the moment seen as its Friday afternoon.

By the way I really like the elev's you posted.

Regards, Paul.

Max Lloyd
2005-03-04, 04:52 PM
With regards to 'looks great on screen, but prints badly.... we have got a brilliant new colour photocopier in the office that also works as an a4 a3 colour printer. Even onto very ordinary paper, it can get a gloss effect and the colour reproduction is excellent. If we want to print these at a bigger size, we would print to our hp1050c. Colour reproduction is only any good when you use a glossy paper, otherwise it looks saturated.

Thanks Paul, the brick material is in the BMCD2AR3\bitmap textures\brick\brick 34. However, the scale of the texture by default is a bit big. I set it to x=2.2 and y=1.65.

christopher.zoog51272
2005-03-04, 05:43 PM

Sounds like it time for a new printer, or at least run some calibrations. That's an awful big work around to fix a color correction issue;)

beegee
2005-03-05, 01:19 AM
Very nice woork Max !

Pity we didn't have your image to put on the portal page as well.

Its all following on from Beegee's march 1st pre-gallery section..