PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use IES VE?

JamesVan
2005-03-04, 04:41 PM
Has anyone used IES Virtual Environment software? IES is a developer out of Glasgow. We have experimented with ECOTECT, but are not familiar with the IES product line. Any input is greatly appreciated.

JV

declan.alcock
2008-04-25, 12:12 PM
JV,
I've been using the IES virtual environment software for a number of years, what would you like to know about it?

Dec

gbrowne
2008-04-29, 12:17 PM
I did not know this...! Go Glasgow!

Andrew Dobson
2008-04-29, 01:26 PM
I went to a demonstration of IES by a local Revit reseller.

It now has a direct link with Revit Architecture as well as MEP.

The concept seems to be that you start using it as soon as you have a building shell, and use it as a tool to inform how design decisions will effect energy performance.

For example, the effects of having a large glass facade on the south elevation can be illustrated, showing solar gain and heat loss.

Looks like good software.

http://www.iesve.com/content/

truevis
2008-04-29, 04:12 PM
Got the daylighting aspect to work. See presentation attached..

ws
2008-04-30, 10:16 AM
I went to a demonstration of IES by a local Revit reseller.

So did I (maybe the same one.. at Leeds?)

I found it very difficult to understand the cost of the software and which bits I would need to do what.

Their website has improved however and IES have posted more information on using their software with Revit
http://www.iesve.com/content/default.asp?page=s97_1

Andrew Dobson
2008-04-30, 01:33 PM
The demonstration was by MicroCAD and was in Sheffield, so not too far away.

At the time there was a link between IES and Revit MEP but not Revit Architecture.

I was also a little confused as to what you needed to buy to do different things. Unfortunately I had to leave before it got to questions as I had another commitment.

It does look like useful software, no idea how much it costs though. Probably half the cost in the US though, even though it is made here, but that's another story!