PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Struggling to model a Compound Butterfly Roof

jeremy675212
2014-08-17, 03:04 PM
Hi,
I'm working in Revit Arch 2014. Trying to create a Butterfly roof that not only slopes toward the valley, but the valley then slopes too.
I currently have 2 roofs that slope toward each other at 2:12. These roofs are sloped using the "define slope" option.
This part models just fine with a beautiful butterfly, but the result is a flat valley.

I need to get the roofs to also slope down the valley at .5:12 so I can understand the implications on my top plate angles.
I've tried to apply the "slope arrow" tool parallel with the valley, but when I do this Revit decides that it needs to break the roof by creating a ridge between the .5:12 and the 2:12.
I've also tried to model a generic form in an effort to apply a roof on its face, but I can't get the generic form to rotate to the angles I need.
Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Hoping someone can identify what it is. Thank you.

CAtDiva
2014-08-18, 03:14 AM
Here's a thought that I had: maybe a roof by extrusion, extruded along a reference plane that slopes at the valley (0.5:12) would suit your purposes better than by footprint. You might need a void extrusion on each end to cut the facia back to vertical.

PijPiwo
2014-08-18, 04:57 AM
How about roof by mass. Take a look at the enclosed file.
Hopefully it will work for you.