PDA

View Full Version : Hide / Isolate tool question

WolffG
2005-03-06, 11:34 PM
Recently, I issued an addendum to a drawing. In the drawings, I wanted to isolate all callouts except the new ones relating to the addendum. I used the hide object tool. It looked OK in the sheet view, but when I went to print it out (as a .pdf), all of the callout symbols came back.
I ended up having to duplicate the plan and then deleting the unnecessary callouts one by one. (Pain).
What are the options here?

beegee
2005-03-07, 12:00 AM
Hide Isolate is only a temporary view setting, as you've found.

Best solution for the future would be worksets.

It may also be possible to use detail callouts and set their properties to hide at scales coarser than the scale being issued, then reset after issue. But probably too much trouble to do that.

Gadget Man
2005-03-07, 06:17 AM
This issue comes back over and over again like a broken record, doesn't it?

Well, perhaps there is a good reason for it... Maybe the current "Hide/Isolate" tool is very confusing? Maybe it should have a "temporary/permanent" (or "printable/non printable") option tick box after all? If so many users ask the same question...? Maybe (just maybe) it should be fixed - once and for all?

roy.70844
2005-03-07, 10:16 AM
This issue comes back over and over again like a broken record, doesn't it?...

Maybe (just maybe) it should be fixed - once and for all?

I Totally agree! it seems mad to have a system which allows you to switch off individual objects (very useful I think we all agree) but NOT let you print that choice.
How many names on a petition would it take to get this feature?
Or is it a more difficult programming problem than it seems.

Roy

luigi
2005-03-07, 12:48 PM
My opinion is that this thread turned into a different one than intended. This moved to the Revit wish list, because in the nature of the "temporary hide/isolate" (the real name of the feature) there is nothing to change, or wrong with it. What the last few posts are talking about is a way to turn off some walls, or some floors, or some windows (not all of them) in a graphic way (which can be a very similar to the "temporary hide/isolate" command, but just one that effects the "Visibility/Graphics Override for ...." option instead

This I believe very few users will find not useful (this means that most would find it useful):wink:

My 2 groszy,

SCShell
2005-03-07, 01:48 PM
Hey there,

I agree that it would be faster to enable the "temporary hide" for printing.
I have not tried this yet; however, has anybody tried exporting the 'hidden' view to a JPG? I would thing that this might work since it is like a snapshot of the screen view. You could then just paste it back onto a new sheet as a rastor import. Hmmm

Might try it later.
Steve

Martin P
2005-03-07, 03:21 PM
Print screen works, but looks very ropey....

Gadget Man
2005-03-07, 10:23 PM
... because in the nature of the "temporary hide/isolate" (the real name of the feature) there is nothing to change, or wrong with it...
Hello Luigi, Dzien dobry

If the real name of the feature is indeed "temporary hide/isolate" why doesn't it say so when you hoover over it? Or even when you open it? No mention of it anywhere...? Instead it says: "Hide/Isolate" - that's it...
No wonder so many people, remembering AutoCAD's "Freeze/OFF" feature (including my humble self) are initially confused (until some good soul from AUGI explains this for the 100th time!) And really, what's wrong with having an additional option to turn your temporary setting into the permanent one if you wish so? You don't need to use it if you don't want it, but it's there when you need it... Simplicity - that's what should be number ONE priority...

Jerry

luigi
2005-03-08, 11:07 AM
Hi Jerry, you should read my post in the a= formula....;)

Hello Luigi, Dzien dobry

If the real name of the feature is indeed "temporary hide/isolate" why doesn't it say so when you hoover over it? Or even when you open it? No mention of it anywhere...? Instead it says: "Hide/Isolate" - that's it...Actually it is called that and it shows that in the drop down menu. I believe the reason why you don't see it when you hover over it is because it would be very long....

Also, currently, you cannot turn off one wall and not another, the system is turn off all walls or no walls. I do agree that some level of additional control to turn off some objects in a category and not the whole category is needed and the basic use of the "temporary hide/isolate" can be used to allow the more permanent one. But currently this isn't the case, you need to use worksets to be able to turn off some walls and not others, but then the worksets would/might be treated like layers, which most of Revit users would crinch at the sound of that....

But again, if there is a second tool that works just like the "temporary hide/isolate" but that would be called permanent hide/isolate, with the ease to turn them all one by resetting the view, then there is some potential and wouldn't go against the Revit philosophy too much.

So, how about the Wishlist????

Gadget Man
2005-03-08, 11:32 AM
...Also, currently, you cannot turn off one wall and not another, the system is turn off all walls or no walls...
Hi Luigi,

I am not sure I follow you... Actually you've lost me all together :shock: :? !

I am refering to the little button down the status bar with a little glasses symbol on it... When I highlight, say, ONE (or two, or three, or whatever) wall out of the whole bunch of walls of the same type, and then I press "Hide/Isolate" button at the bottom of the screen, the last option on the list is "Hide Object" (as opposed to "Hide Category" up above). Then, only the selected wall/walls disappear, leaving all the other from the same category visible... Unfortunately not permanently as we pointed out here... ;-)

Aha! Now I see it! You mean the VIEW MENU option! Yes, indeed it shows "Temporary" written in it, but, so sorry, I don't even look at the MENUS - this button is so much closer ( :smile: ) - and apparently I am not alone... Still, it doesn't change the fact, that you can hide one object and to have an option to do it permanently if you wish would be great!

Serdeczne pozdrowienia ze slonecznej Australii

Jerry.

luigi
2005-03-08, 12:03 PM
Jerzy!!!

Ale super mowi popolsku (a, pisac) Na prawde, super...

I am in sink with you on the need of an additional command....but it is in nature different than the purpose of this one. (also, when you click on the sunglasses, there is written "Reset Temporary Hide/Isolate")

But, it is currently impossible to turn off one object of a category. This "new" command somehow needs to be tied with the "Visibility Graphics...".

On a side note, in version 6.1, there was the option (with the sunglasses) to make a selection turned off permanently, but if you select one wall, and choose to turn it off permanently, all of the walls would disappear from the view, because there isn't a command/option to turn off one wall and not the other.....BUT it is possible, because you can do it temporarily with the sunglasses. So, maybe, if we let Revit (the people behind the curtains) know this is a very valuable option, which probably the majority would agree, then maybe they will spend some time to develop a "permanent, graphic, object hide/isolate" the base of the command is there the "Temporary hide/Isolate" command, just incorporating that with the "Visibility graphics..." command

Przepraszam ze tak dlogo pisalem, ale nie moge uzywac moje rece (jestem wlochem) un italiano ver!!! ;)

Peacefully,

J. Grouchy
2005-03-08, 01:52 PM
Recently, I issued an addendum to a drawing. In the drawings, I wanted to isolate all callouts except the new ones relating to the addendum. I used the hide object tool. It looked OK in the sheet view, but when I went to print it out (as a .pdf), all of the callout symbols came back.
I ended up having to duplicate the plan and then deleting the unnecessary callouts one by one. (Pain).
What are the options here?

I don't understand the problem...just select each callout to hide, right-click and select "Hide Annotation in View". Am I missing something?

luigi
2005-03-08, 01:57 PM
The problem to the real solution was overlooked....it turned into the temporary hide/isolate issue, and not the problem presented...

good job

J. Grouchy
2005-03-08, 02:01 PM
To me, the Hide/Isolate command is practically useless. I never even bother when I have Visibility settings and the Hide/Show Annotation options. I'm sure I could come up with a use for it if I wanted to, but the first thing people think when they see it is that it is the same as the Freeze/Thaw and Isolate Layer commands in AutoCAD...which is not the case.

luigi
2005-03-08, 02:10 PM
I have used it as a temporary way to remove objects that are in my way while designing or aligning 3d elements, etc. I have found this option useful. I believe all will have their opinion on the subject, but if it doesn't take away from users, but it is helpful to others, then why not have the command?

Again, good job nailing the actual problem in the head!!!

SCShell
2005-03-09, 03:10 PM
Hey there,

I like the tool. I use it a lot, especially when creating some 3d isometric views for presentations which then get exported to JPG and to remove things that are in the way when working on a particular area, usually within a cropped 3d isometric view. But, I mostly use it to hide a large JPG of something that I am tracing, like a site plan which was originally hand drawn. When I get those old site plans scanned, they are quite large JPG's or BMP's. These really slow down the drawing and labeling process if the JPG is still visible. I eventually delete it when I am done.

Steve

bclarch
2005-03-10, 03:58 PM
All right, so check out this thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=945) and vote.