PDA

View Full Version : New version or is it?

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-17, 08:42 PM
Autodesk Revit download pages says:
Existing Revit 5.1 customers - this Autodesk Revit 5.1L download introduces Autodesk's standard ADLM licensing within Revit. Upgrading to this download is not required and is not necessary for existing customers.

Huh? Sorry, must be a bad day for me but this is confusing....so who needs this? Wouldn't an existing network license customer need this too?

Any wisdom to impart O'Revit staff?

slb
2003-11-17, 09:37 PM
There's virtually nothing in the software, other than the licensing method, that is different from the 20030716 build of 5.1.

Autodesk Revit 6.0, when it is released, will also have this licensing method. Existing customers will be provided with the necessary data to license the software when it is released.

Cathy Hadley
2003-11-17, 09:42 PM
My understanding... limited as it maybe is

That Revit is going to revert to the *standard* AutoDesk way of licensing.. Authorization codes, etc.. and then utilize the ADLM or FlexLM for handling network installs.

And that this 5.1L version is the same 5.1 just with this new (old) licensing ...

So if the existing 5.1 is working for you there probably isn't a reason to change... but I guess there were firms who didn't like the constent connection to the internet aspect?

Again... just what I *heard*

Cathy

christopher.zoog51272
2003-11-17, 09:43 PM
There's virtually nothing in the software, other than the licensing method, that is different from the 20030716 build of 5.1.

Autodesk Revit 6.0, when it is released, will also have this licensing method. Existing customers will be provided with the necessary data to license the software when it is released.

Steve,

Where can we read-up on the "standard ADLM" licensing? Will we be losing anything? Namely the ability to have one office and home license per subscription license?

Scott D Davis
2003-11-17, 09:46 PM

So, what you are trying to say, is that because the release of 6.0 is rapidly approaching, there is no reason to get the 5.1L?

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-17, 09:56 PM
If I git it now: A new customer should start out Revit life with this download. An existing customer needs/should/could to wait until the release of 6.0 on Friday :D and will need to acquire a new license file to add to an existing FlexLM pool like the other Autodesk products are managed now.

Autodesk's other products use one FlexLM service and all products are managed with one license file that you assemble from the license files of individual products.

So for example: ADT and VIZ and now Revit will be licensed using one file assembled from each file provided by Autodesk when you authorize them.

Sounds confusing but it isn't really, you call Autodesk, authorize a product, they email you a text file. You copy/paste a portion of the text file into the master license file and re-read the license file and you're all set. A change in your license count requires a similar call, email, copy/paste and re-read to update the status.

I think I git it....I think I...

slb
2003-11-17, 10:12 PM
Scott and Steve... you've pretty much got it! (not Friday, however - :? - very nice try, however).

Chris, you're not going to lose anything. You will still be able to work at home and at work, nonconcurrently. The standalone license can be made portable and used on another machine (I'll admit it's not as transparent as the prior licensing method, but it is ultimately more flexible). The network license will be able to be "detached" from the server and taken on the road or home.

christopher.zoog51272
2003-11-17, 10:16 PM
Scott and Steve... you've pretty much got it! (not Friday, however - :? - very nice try, however).

Chris, you're not going to lose anything. You will still be able to work at home and at work, nonconcurrently. The standalone license can be made portable and used on another machine (I'll admit it's not as transparent as the prior licensing method, but it is ultimately more flexible). The network license will be able to be "detached" from the server and taken on the road or home.

Great! Thanks for the clarification.

Z.

bclarch
2003-11-17, 10:36 PM
Steve Burri,

Is the release team preparing a document that clearly explains the how the new licensing scheme works and, more importantly, how to make the transition smoothly? If not, could you encourage them to do so? Thanks.

gregcashen
2003-11-18, 12:22 AM
...not Friday, however...

would you care to elaborate?

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-18, 12:29 AM
Nice try Greg...if my comment didn't fake him out...it'll definitely be out before release 7!!

gregcashen
2003-11-18, 01:15 AM
As you and I both know, Steve, there are already several people who have admitted to having 6.0 anyway. :wink:

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

Chad Smith
2003-11-18, 01:53 AM
Steve Burri:
I actually downloaded and installed this update before reading any current postings here. As a result, after trying to register my Revit with my current serial number I now have a 30 trial running and will have to re-install the previous version.
I downloaded this update after my eyes light up when I found out it used the current AutoCAD licensing system, and this meant that I could transfer the license to another CAD user for when I go away on holidays this christmas.
When I contacted my reseller about the issues experienced today, only now have I been informed that I can have a 'complimentary' license for a secondary user, but obviously only one can be in use at a time as per the license agreement.

The text on the Autodesk web site says:
Upgrading to this download is not required and is not necessary for existing customers.

I read this as, it is not required to be installed, but should you want to then do so.

It should read:
Upgrading to this download is not required and should not be installed by existing customers.

This will stop others from stuffing around with installing an update that can't yet be registered.

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-18, 02:10 AM
Chad,

Are you running a network environment? If so read on, if standalone then call 1-800-551-1490 and get a new license file emailed to you.

Assuming a network deployment, do you use other Autodesk products that use FlexLM? If you haven't or don't you'll need to install some more software to get it up and running, specifically the FlexLM license manager which resides on a server that all PC's intended to use Autodesk products can "see".

Regarding this server, You need to supply Autodesk with two pieces of information besides your serial number and company info to prove you are who you say:

1) MAC address of the network card (12 digit alpha-numeric format like: 00-00-00-00-00-00) From server and DOS window type IPCONFIG /All and see what is reported back...you'll see an item called: Physical Address, this is the MAC address. If you only have one Network Interface Card you'll only find one, if your server has more than one, the primary card is usually alpha numeric while logical one or secondary ones are often all alpha)

2) Server name to obtain a license file for each product you use. These files are combined into one document that FlexLM uses to validate license requests.

You should be able to download what you lack. Let me know if you need some help with this...the number I have for Autodesk licensing is: 1-800-551-1490 (US at least...I hope it's valid for your country too)

Now that I've typed all this...you could uninstall and re-install the previous version assuming you still have your "old" license file? Maybe Revit support could help you out there too if not.

Chad Smith
2003-11-18, 02:52 AM
I haven't done it yet, but I have to re-install my previous build 20030716_1428, and use my old license file.
My reseller tells me that they haven't sorted all existing users issues to use the new licensing software. It might have something to do with new serial numbers or entering the old ones into a new database, or something like that, I'm just speculating.
I am using a stand-alone version, and do use other software that uses the FlexLM.
I wish Autodesk would have said on their web site for existing users not to install the update until the licensing had been sorted, not just suggesting that is not required, as per my previous post.
Everything will be OK, just a bit of stuffing around.

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-18, 03:32 AM
Glad you've got it covered...always read the fine print or ask here first... :wink: :D

tmullins68225
2003-11-20, 03:23 PM
As it was explained to me, AutoDesk will soon be providing Revit and AutoCAD bundled together as a special offer. (They will still be sold individually, too) You will be given one license though. Thatway you can have both on your computer, but only one can run at a time. Or an office can have 6 licenses, but only 6 applications can run at a time (3 revit and 3 autocad, 5 revit and 1 autocad, etc...). This is why they had to change the license manager.

It is hoped that this will make offices more comfortable about a transition to revit, rather than jumping in all at once.

gregcashen
2003-11-20, 06:42 PM
No they won't...SHH. :wink:

Wes Macaulay
2003-11-20, 09:22 PM
Greg - I'm more inclined to think that you CAN run AutoCAD and Revit simultaneously, but only on one computer. While they are a combined license, I suspect that you WILL be able to run them both at the same time.

I'm hoping we'll know one way or the other by the time AU starts.

gregcashen
2003-11-21, 01:17 AM
Why are you addressing that post to me? I didn't say anything. :shock:

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-21, 02:44 AM
I don't think that they are supposed to be discussing this yet...I assume this was an AU surprise that has leaked out early? But the new licensing scheme is definitely to conform to existing licensing methods.

gregcashen
2003-11-21, 03:15 AM
I don't think that they are supposed to be discussing this yet...I assume this was an AU surprise that has leaked out early? But the new licensing scheme is definitely to conform to existing licensing methods.

Hmmm...you may be right. I am sure glad I didn't get involved in this thread. Just a curious bystander and all. Interesting discussion though. :roll:

ajayholland
2003-11-21, 03:35 AM
A vendor rep at Jim Balding's SoCal Revit gathering last night said he was permitted to talk about pricing, including the promotions that will be "announced" at AU
-AJH

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-21, 03:38 AM
Perhaps he got special dispensation from the Pope for Big Jim's event?

Wes Macaulay
2003-11-21, 04:26 AM
Why are you addressing that post to me? I didn't say anything. :shock:
Huh? I could have sworn you had a post here about the combined license scenario. No matter (nervous laughter)... just ignore me...

gregcashen
2003-11-21, 04:49 AM
Ummm...errr...i suppose I might have said something. I forget.

beegee
2003-11-21, 05:02 AM
No problem Greg, Chris Z has the backups and he always downloads them to Autodesk for their records, so just contact them and they can remind you.

gregcashen
2003-11-21, 05:26 AM
Good. I was hoping they didn't get erased or anything. :shock:

gregcashen
2003-11-22, 01:13 AM
So, I have the final word (at least until someone else says something) about the Revit Series...

I have been told by my reseller, Abigayle Campos, at AEC Technologies in Roseville, CA (I asked if I could reference her name in case anyone was in doubt and wanted clarification) that according to Revit (Waltham, not San Rafael), the Revit Series will allow the simultaneous running of AutoCAD 2004 and Revit on the SAME computer.

As with other Autodesk tools, the Revit Series can be installed on two computers provided the second is the personal home computer or laptop of the primary user of the license and that there is not concurrent use of the software on both computers. But you could not run AutoCAD on a laptop while Revit is running on the desktop.

Works for me. I'll take two! :D :D

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-22, 01:18 AM
Word

Solomon
2003-12-07, 07:14 PM
One nice thing I've noticed in the 5.1L version of Revit is now the ability to have a fully functional 30 day demo - with saves & prints. Beyond that, it's the normal demo mode we've become accustomed to - basically as a viewer. I've had a few people complain to me that they wish they could run through all of the tuturials, saving their modifications along the way. Now it can be evaluated just a little bit more than before.

Cheers,

Solomon

(sorry to mess up your final word, Steve... :) )

Danny Polkinhorn
2003-12-07, 09:58 PM
Sounds confusing but it isn't really, you call Autodesk, authorize a product, they email you a text file. You copy/paste a portion of the text file into the master license file and re-read the license file and you're all set. A change in your license count requires a similar call, email, copy/paste and re-read to update the status.

Steve,

One point of clarification. You do not have to assemble multiple licenses from multiple Autodesk products into one license file. You may maintain them as separate licenses.

A licenses file (.LIC) contains a header section at the top which contains information about the license server. A second section contains information about the product you're licensing. The text file you receive from Autodesk (really an LIC file) contains both sections.

If you want to combine all licenses into one file, just maintain the header about the server, then combine the sections about the individual products into one file.

If you want to maintain separate license files, you can do this too. This eliminates errors in copy/paste, and is actually easier to understand. In the AdLM (License Manager), just specify a directory which contains the licenses instead of one license file. The AdLM will look in the directory and load all of the license files it finds there.

Hope that helps...

p.s. My first post of many to come I hope...

Steve_Stafford
2003-12-07, 11:20 PM
Danny,

Thanks for your FIRST post! Is this a recent development? Even my recent email from licensing described the "old" cut/paste.

Either way, good info, thanks for sharing it. I'll be checking it out Monday. Makes good sense since the new file will supersede the previous (the license file includes supersede info).

Danny Polkinhorn
2003-12-08, 02:40 AM
Steve,

No, this has long been a part of AdLM.

One other caveat. When specifying the directory containing the license files in the License Manager, DO NOT include a backslash. Doing so will cause it not to load the licenses.

Proper syntax:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk Network License Manager\Licenses