PDA

View Full Version : half-height door/gate

cliff collins
2003-11-17, 10:16 PM
Anyone done a "half-height" door or gate ( like in a bank separating the vault area from the lobby)--I feel a "create an in-place family" coming on.... :) The gate is anywhere from 3'-0" to 60" high. This creates some issues with "view range"/floor plan cutting plane height, etc. The door's frame will actually only be on the sides--no "head". ) Just wondering how to approach this?

cbc

beegee
2003-11-18, 12:13 AM
Cliff,
Just grab one of the existing door families and hack into it.

I've done similar for dumb waiter doors, laundry chute doors etc. View range can be an issue. You may have to attach an invisible line or use a call out.

cliff collins
2003-11-18, 03:15 PM
beegee,

Thanks for reply. Can you "hack" the top/head of the frame off and retain just the sides/jambs?

Here in the US we call doors like these "dutch doors"--used mostly in residential work in pairs---Iv'e also seen these doors in food service/kitchens where the wait staff goes from the food prep area to the dining area--where full height "normal" doors are not desired.

Sounds like a candidate for a new door family.

Cheers,

Cliff Collins

beegee
2003-11-18, 09:51 PM
beegee,

Thanks for reply. Can you "hack" the top/head of the frame off and retain just the sides/jambs?

Here in the US we call doors like these "dutch doors"--used mostly in residential work in pairs---Iv'e also seen these doors in food service/kitchens where the wait staff goes from the food prep area to the dining area--where full height "normal" doors are not desired.

Sounds like a candidate for a new door family.

Cheers,

Cliff Collins

You can't hack the frame if its a sweep, but it doesn't take long to do a new replacement sweep and mirror it for the other side frame.

Yes, I think a new door family is probably the best way to go.
I haven't checked RUGI, maybe they have something like this there.