PDA

View Full Version : Dimension to corner point at face of core?

wingman
2005-03-07, 11:24 PM
I need to be able to dimension to the FACE OF CORE end point at a corner where a linear wall intersects an angled wall and I can't seem to find anywhere how to control this. The tab button doesn't work because revit won't even recognize this location as a point to dimension. It seems to want to select the end, corner point of finish, but not core and even that is random. Sometimes it won't even give me that option

I know I can draw reference planes or invisible lines to dimension to but I hate dong that. It's almost like manually overriding a dimension in AutoCAD. If your not dimensioning to the wall, there's no point in building the model accurately, you could just fudge everything with reference planes. I would appreciate any advice.

mlgatzke
2005-03-07, 11:41 PM
Sorry, this is a problem that has been requested to fix for quite some time now. As far as has been discussed in this forum thus far, RefPlanes or invisible Model Lines are the only solution. . . until the Factory comes out with a new build to fix the problem.

If it's any consultation, I'm anxiously awaiting a fix to this too.

Taylor A
2005-03-07, 11:42 PM
Yep....I haven't found any way of doing that either, except as you have mentioned above

wingman
2005-03-08, 12:00 AM
I was afraid that was the answer. So then, moving on let me ask another question. How do I lock reference planes so they can't be deleted? or is that possible?

Scott D Davis
2005-03-08, 12:25 AM
Use the "pin" tool to keep items, inc. Ref Planes from moving. You can still delete it, but you will get a warning that "Pinned objects are being deleted"

beegee
2005-03-08, 12:34 AM
Or, put them in a separate non-editable workset.

I was afraid that was the answer. So then, moving on let me ask another question. How do I lock reference planes so they can't be deleted? or is that possible?

Gadget Man
2005-03-08, 01:38 AM
Or, put them in a separate non-editable workset.
O.K. What happens then if you try to move the wall? Would this Reference Plane move accordingly? Would it be allowed to move without making this separate workset "editable"? And then one should change it back to "non-editable" for consistency? Until the next time it needs to be moved? All this adds several un-neccessary steps to something that should be fairly simple procedure...

Just stirring....:twisted:

By the way, I have problems with a spell checker again... (it starts and then instantly disappears without doing any corrections, even for very obvious errors).

rodneyf
2005-03-08, 02:43 AM
Well I have found it will work on some wall types if you use the wall join tool and select miter. The ones it works on are walls that have concrete masonry units as the core it also works with some walls that have studs as the core as long as the wall function is exterior. I have sent this into the factory, so if you see this please send it into the factory.

Hope that helps,

BillyGrey
2005-03-08, 03:02 AM
Yes, this is a real time drag.
I have a problem snapping to these points in general.
I am considering going back to skinless walls in favor of accuracy
at this point.

Please fix the whole of the wall core issues asap.

Thanks

beegee
2005-03-08, 03:47 AM
Putting the RPs in a non- editable workset is one way not to delete them by mistake, since you will be warned if you attempt to do so. ( in answer to wingman's question )

If a wall is locked to an RP and both wall and RP are in different worksets ( and the RP ws is non editable, you can still move the wall and the RP will move with it, without requiring you to make the RP ws editable.

O.K. What happens then if you try to move the wall? Would this Reference Plane move accordingly? Would it be allowed to move without making this separate workset "editable"? And then one should change it back to "non-editable" for consistency? Until the next time it needs to be moved? All this adds several un-neccessary steps to something that should be fairly simple procedure...