PDA

View Full Version : Wonder why there are no Revit 8.0 "leaks"?

Joef
2005-03-08, 05:52 PM
An article on the AutoCAD 2006 NDA :

http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/blog/2005/03/autodesk_drops_.html

Scott D Davis
2005-03-08, 06:10 PM
If the "embargo" has been lifted, doesn't this apply to all Autodesk products set for release?

Joef
2005-03-08, 06:34 PM
If the "embargo" has been lifted, doesn't this apply to all Autodesk products set for release?

I would guess not. Looks like next Tuesday will be the big news day. I can understand why the AutoCAD people would want to hype their release as there are some pretty nifty new tools. It's still 2D though :-)

Wes Macaulay
2005-03-09, 01:54 PM
March 15th will be news day. We'll be dropping all the info we have on R8 on anyone who wants to come to Stantec's offices in Vancouver that evening... :-)

barathd
2005-03-09, 06:15 PM
Wes:

Is Revit 8.0 something seperate from Revit Structure? Won't push for anything else - 15th is at hand.

Thanks

Dick Barath

sfaust
2005-03-09, 06:53 PM
not speaking from any inside information, but I've gotten the impression from all the information I've seen that they are different but will be released simultaneously.

Andre Baros
2005-03-09, 07:12 PM
Does anyone know if there will be anything incremental in the way of MEP in 8.0 or will be have to wait for Revit Building Systems and get it all at once. Just like Revit "Complete?" currently has some structural tools, will we get some mechanical tools ever (soon?)?

We have consultants do the drawings but for conflict checking I'm drawing small portions in Revit and ductwork tools, etc. would be really helpful.

Looking forward to 8.0 (which can't possibly be as awesome as 7.0 was...)

Simon.Whitbread
2005-03-09, 10:38 PM
News on 8.0 , Structural and MEP versions is becoming mission CRITICAL where decisions are being made that affect the whole company. ANYTHING about release dates, expected content and delivery WILL make a big difference to the POWERS THAT BE. Continued silence just feels like I'm a mushroom again and I thought AutoDesk had got past that point.
There are some engineers in this region who aren't even AWARE that there will be some sort of Revit solution. When we (architectural company) have the ability to somewhat influence which type of software the consultants will ultimately use on a project, this silence is slightly worrying

Wes Macaulay
2005-03-09, 11:41 PM
Ok guys - here's the basic news, which isn't news at all...

Revit 8 may in fact be named Revit Building - this will be the architectural version
Revit Structure will be out this spring sometime - for structural engineers
Revit MEP - called Revit Systems - will be out in Spring 2006.
This info was floating around at AU.

Simon.Whitbread
2005-03-10, 12:36 AM
Ok guys - here's the basic news, which isn't news at all...

Revit 8 may in fact be named Revit Building - this will be the architectural version
Revit Structure will be out this spring sometime - for structural engineers
Revit MEP - called Revit Systems - will be out in Spring 2006.
This info was floating around at AU.

OK Wes, thanks for the info.
But, and please excuse my cynicism, AU was (in terms of software), a light year ago.
Revit Structure in spring...SOMETIME
Revit MEP spring 2006... Maybe that coincides with the story that Revit engine is going to be swapped out with Inventors.
I had thought that Autodesk were streamlining their release dates along with the rest of the products?!
Directors in my practice want engineers using compatible software, So the whole BIM thing works, not just a pretty building but something that can be used for the life of that structure

christopher.zoog51272
2005-03-10, 01:41 AM
OK Wes, thanks for the info.
But, and please excuse my cynicism, AU was (in terms of software), a light year ago.
Revit Structure in spring...SOMETIME
Revit MEP spring 2006... Maybe that coincides with the story that Revit engine is going to be swapped out with Inventors.
I had thought that Autodesk were streamlining their release dates along with the rest of the products?!
Directors in my practice want engineers using compatible software, So the whole BIM thing works, not just a pretty building but something that can be used for the life of that structure you don't won't them to rush out incomplete buggy software Right? let them take the time to "get it right"

anyway, AU was 3.25 months ago, Revit 7 was released about 4.5 months, hardly light years, AND spring has not even hit yet here in the United States (3/20/05), it doesn't even feel like spring yet, at least not where I live ;)

sit tight until the 15th and see what going on then, I'm sure it will be great news :)

PS inventor engine replacing revit's PCE? where in the world did you here that? i won't go into the many ways that would be near impossible....

Scott D Davis
2005-03-10, 02:16 AM
Um...they are. The 'normal' release date for Revit had been at the end of the year. Revit 7.0 came out just before AU, 4 months ago. Now, Revit 8.0 is being released in April to coincide with the AutoCAD release with all the "vertical" products (ADT, MDT, etc...)

Now Revit is on the 'normal' release schedule with all the other products. You can expect to see Revit 9.0 around April 2006. Revit 9.0 is rumored to be the "MEP" release.

Man, two MAJOR releases in 4-5 months, and you are saying that's not quick enough?

GuyR
2005-03-10, 03:49 AM
Maybe that coincides with the story that Revit engine is going to be swapped out with Inventors.

Ouch Simon!! That's a bit of an insult comparing Inventor with the PCE. Perhaps the rumour is Revit been able to import Inventor models which would be quite cool? That would make more sense.

Guy

beegee
2005-03-10, 05:53 AM
This is why the Securities Commission ( or/ insert appropriate Authority name ) gets upset about companies releasing information early.

richard.binning
2005-03-10, 02:40 PM
This is why the Securities Commission ( or/ insert appropriate Authority name ) gets upset about companies releasing information early.

Looks pretty flat to me. The big picture since mid January is very little (o.o%) change. I am sure that this graph will begin to climb once again come the 15th. Bloggers have had very little effect in this big pond.

http://forums.augi.com/images/modimages/flatstock.png
My .02

Andre Baros
2005-03-10, 03:33 PM
I know the emphasis is on the big new role-out and that's great. No problem. But I assume that there are also some small changes to Revit Generic that teasers could be dropped about... ala the find 10 things that are new in 7.0 thread (even though we never found all the new things)

Wanderer
2005-03-10, 03:40 PM
So the whole BIM thing works, not just a pretty building but something that can be used for the life of that structure
ah, this is what I'm looking forward to. I enjoy watching the intelligent manufacturing and architectural stuff going on out there, but, I don't really use that professionally, and am loving finally seeing more for MEP systems in the works. woo-hoo.

barathd
2005-03-10, 03:59 PM
Wonder if Revit 8 will be posted for download prior to official release as was Revit 7?

Wes Macaulay
2005-03-10, 05:31 PM
I've asked that, Dick - will let you know if I get a response!

Simon.Whitbread
2005-03-10, 06:36 PM
you don't won't them to rush out incomplete buggy software Right? ....
When has that ever stopped a software vendor!

sit tight until the 15th and see what going on then ....
I've got no trouble with this, its the boys in the toy store that are impatient!

PS inventor engine replacing revit's PCE? ....
That or something similar. As to where it came from... an ex. who may just have some old links with the past???

GuyR
2005-03-10, 06:59 PM
That or something similar. As to where it came from... an ex. who may just have some old links with the past???

I guess if they can separate the change engine from the parametric geometry then swapping the parametric geometry creation from Revit's to the generic Inventor solid modeller might be possible? Would it improve performance?

Would certainly open up some nice features. NURBS, better export/import options etc.One things for sure, we won't get any comment from the factory before it hits our screens. This would be a huge change.

Guy

pjensen
2005-03-10, 07:17 PM
Just received these from my reseller....

Joef
2005-03-10, 07:33 PM
Perhaps someone can change the title for this thread :-)

Lots of interesting reading. Thanks!

Scott Hopkins
2005-03-10, 08:19 PM
The marketing material is a little vague but it looks like we are getting some much needed new structural tools. Unfortunately no new site tools to speak of...

sjsl
2005-03-10, 08:21 PM
Just read the pdf. Most of what's new will not be used by us for a long time to come.
The enhancements are really not going to impact us very much. sigh....

It's like anticipating xmas presents only there not much under the tree for you, how depressing.

We can only hope for more.

Revit users can be so greedy.

Tom Dorner
2005-03-10, 08:24 PM
Being able to schedule nested components and an API are the two biggest things that jump out at me.

Tom

christopher.zoog51272
2005-03-10, 08:50 PM
sorry had to temporarily delete the PDF, not sure if it's OK yet....

BillyGrey
2005-03-10, 08:54 PM
Whoops, there's a "leak"...

Simon.Whitbread
2005-03-10, 10:18 PM
sorry had to temporarily delete the PDF, not sure if it's OK yet....

Chris, you ***********!
I go to a meeting and then find out someone posted a teaser and now its gone.

I'm going tinto the corner to cry