PDA

View Full Version : Topographic surface patterns: Ideas?

studio3p
2005-03-08, 09:48 PM
It's just been reported to me by way of an error messsage that topographic surfaces do not support surface patterns. So let's say I wanted to indicate pavement on a site plan with some kind of a hatch pattern. Any suggestions as to how I'd do it? I thought of using a filled region, but the filled region border does not snap to the edges of the topographic surface.

luigi
2005-03-10, 02:28 PM
I am assuming you are using sub regions, and not splitting the topography...

It would be better to draw the filled region first and then lock the subregions to the filled region boundaries, but, If you have created the topographic view first(which you have) and want a connection between a filled region and your topographic view without having to draw the lines again then do this...

edit the sub region, copy clip the sketch lines, then exit thee sub region. create a filled region and past to current view the lines, finish sketch. Then you should go back to the sub region and lock the lines with the filled region. I would suggest doing this last step (locking) only if you have a good probability that the lines will change. It's worth the extra minutes to lock them.

Peace,

p.s. there is something mentioned like this in the tips & tricks section...sorry I didn't catch this post earlier

Chad Smith
2005-03-10, 09:01 PM
This is another one of those little things that have bugged me since I started using Revit.
I find that I have to use filled regions over the sub-regions.

studio3p
2005-03-10, 10:42 PM
Thank you luigi. That is the workaround I finally used.

I have another question about topography. Perhaps I should start a new thread. Nah.

I need to be able show existing grading and proposed grading on the same sheet. Everything works in terms of grading, but the display isn't working properly. Where ever an existing grade is above a proposed grade, or vice versa, the grade obscure the lines below. Is there a way to display both the new/proposed grading with the existing grading as an over/underlay?

Also, is there a way to turn off the boundary of a topographic surface? Our surveyor is pushing his luck and provided the topography just to the property line and not an inch beyond. The result is that right now the edge of the topographic surface is perfectly aligned with the property line. I'd like to not have the boundary edge visible in this condition.

luigi
2005-03-11, 12:11 AM
cool, glad it helped...

I am assuming you are trying to show it in plan? So...
You might try 2 ways, one which you kinda mentioned already. I am not sure if you are showing the view in hidden form, or in shade, they will behave totally different, you are probably better off showing it in hidden/wireframe mode rather than shaded view...

one way to try is to have 2 plan views which will show the complete project, and the other only the demo. Then on the sheet, overlap them, they should snap together....

another way is to let the project be in wireframe. If it is in plan, you can try your best to make the plan look simple, maybe cut at the main level, instead of showing the roof, so the wireframe view won't look bad

I have no idea if any of these two ways will work, but they are the first 2 I would try.

Keep us posted...

Just noticed your other request, but can't really help you there, except for adding four point very far away, but it may cause some other imperfections depending on your survey topographical point...
Peace,

studio3p
2005-03-11, 12:38 AM
luigi -

Good workaround. I duplicated the site plan, changed it's phase, changed the display to wireframe, and placed it over the other site plan without a titleblock.

Thanks man.

luigi
2005-03-11, 01:11 AM
Cool, no problem! and thanks for the rep pts...