PDA

View Full Version : candle light experiment

Max Lloyd
2005-03-09, 02:22 PM
Hi everyone.

Just got thinking about soft lighting and thought that I had never seen anyone do a candle light in revit.

Here is a quick stab at it, plenty of room for improvement though.

Anyone got any tips or tricks on this?

Thanks,

Max.

Max Lloyd
2005-03-09, 03:33 PM
Absolutely no development from the first image, just a slightly different angle (I liked the water more than anything)

stuntmonkee
2005-03-09, 08:34 PM
This kinda "fired" me up to throw somethin together, just kinda fun, and by the time I was done I had learned a few things. . . .you guys may have known, but I didn't.

Anyway, here's the big 3.

1. You cant adjust the color of lighting. . . .thats ****
2. Small flames like this can be created with a standard marble texture. . .shows really well in one of the views.
3. Accent lighting should be around 4 lumens or maybe even less.

and as a preference, I preferred the image with out running radiate. That could just be a preference, and thinkin it through, I know there are things wrong with it (I wont mention because it would take away from it i think), but I think for low light situations like this, its better because you get harder shadows and highlights. . . .like you would from a candle.

What do you guys think?

oh, the first image (left) is without the radiate.

beegee
2005-03-09, 10:48 PM
The unradiated image is definitely more atmospheric, even with the un-natural shadows from the candles.

Max Lloyd
2005-03-09, 11:54 PM
Nice effort, I'd like to hear from a few others or perhaps see their attempts.....(Come on guys & gals, don't be shy!)

I agree with what you are saying. I like the version without radiance, the effect of the candle flames being projected onto the wall is kind of cool. However, you can change the colour of light by shading it with a transparent material, I have done it before with my rear lights to cars, can work well but I couldn't get it to work this time?

The bit I find most peculiar is why is it that the source of light itself is never very bright? I figure that the light source needs something to reflect off, but even when you seem to provide that by creating a shade around it, the light source itself seems overshadowed by the light that it omits. (Perhaps it needs two shades around it? I'll give it a go) I have tried to give the little flame its own luminance, but even that doesn't work very well.

Well, as I stood outside taking a cigarette break, I couldn't help studying the flame from my lighter....I'll see if I can get this a little better.

Max.

SCShell
2005-03-10, 01:03 PM
Very cool Max.
Steve
(I like the first one too!)