PDA

View Full Version : build upgrade for multiple computers?

jarod.tulanowski
2005-03-09, 03:02 PM
How do you upgrade multiple computers with the latest Revit build? we have Revit 7.0 installed, but it was an old build. since there is not an upgrade/patch. what is the procedure. Thanks

aaronrumple
2005-03-09, 04:02 PM
Just install the new version. It will uninstall the old build (with your OK)...

Network? Create a network setp package with the first installation. Others can then use the network deployment package created by Revit.

Once I do the firsat workstation other users can get updated in just a few minutes.

jarod.tulanowski
2005-03-09, 08:31 PM
thanks Aaron that will fix the others here is what autodesk recomended

The most efficient way to roll Revit out to a number of machines is to do a network deployment. The way this works is you select one of your client machines and perform a normal install. During the install, there is an checkbox option to prepare a network deploy. Check this box and you will have to specify a location on your network for the deployment image. During the course of the install, an MSI file (and others) will be placed in this folder. To install on the other machines, just direct your users to double click on this MSI (do not move it or copy it to a new location, that will not work). These additional installs will be silent (nothing for the users to do except sit back and wait for it to complete).

jarod.tulanowski
2005-03-09, 08:32 PM
by the way if you are betatesting is the latest beta the newest build???

Exar Kun
2005-03-10, 05:43 AM
by the way if you are betatesting is the latest beta the newest build???

Not necessarily. There is usually a dev build aswell. :)

John Anderson
2005-07-14, 07:16 PM
The deployment option is great, but in practice it is only solving the problem about 10% of the time.

It would be great if after a deployment setup any future build updates within the same release could automatically use the pathing information already set up for the previous build during deployment setup.

As well, Revit Series should be able to grab the set up information for Revit Building and vice versa.

Otherwise it does not remove most of the need to constantly repeat this task.

DaveP
2005-09-09, 03:58 PM
What do you guys do with the content when you do a network deploy?
I haven't had much luck getting the content to install.
We keep the content from the factory in the All Users folder locally & our custom content on the server. When I create a Network Deploy, it complains about putting the content in C:Documents and Settings\All Users & tells me I should keep the content on the network. Problem is that we've got a lot of laptops & they don't work too well at a client site if the content is back in the office.

I've been using the Network Deploy & then manually copying the content folders afterwords. Anybody got a better idea?

dhurtubise
2005-09-11, 04:06 PM
Simply backup your Revit.ini and re-apply

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-11, 05:11 PM
Simply backup your Revit.ini and re-applyThe Revit.ini file has been changing a bit over the last few releases, more in it that is. Take care that you make sure the Revit.ini file you use isn't very different from the latest. The only portion that affects content and paths is the top of the Revit.ini...so you can paste the path information in the newer file. Then you can copy the Revit.ini to other PC's.

Simon.Whitbread
2005-09-20, 09:26 PM
Then you can copy the Revit.ini to other PC's.

Make sure you edit the file to remove the username, otherwise everyone will be opening worksets with the same initials - realised that one only after 10 installs, good job it wasn't after 100!