PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling Issue

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-03-10, 12:36 PM
I have a ceiling at first level, and an insert 1' below. Both are the same structure. When i create a section i got all layers at both elevations but ... no joint between the 2 levels. Basically the horizontal components are ok, but i dont have any vertical one. How do i work that out ?

I included a drawing of it

SCShell
2005-03-10, 01:18 PM
Hey there,

Usually, I model the vertical soffits between ceiling levels with walls. Depending on your design, you will need to pick a wall type and then set the levels individually for both the top and bottom remembering to wrap your GWB finish at the ends. The top of the wall, I imagine, will be at structure (or level) and the bottom will be determined by how you want the the ceiling to join. If it is a simple GWB step type soffit feature, you can then 'join geometry' to get a nice join between the ceiling and wall soffit.

As a tip, when doing complex ceilings, I rotate a 3d isometric view so that I am under the model, looking up. Then I temporarily hide the floor and walls needed to see what I am doing. (or imply use the crop box and drag the bottom of the box to where you need in order to remove the floor etc.)

Hope this helps
Steve

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-03-10, 05:51 PM
That what i was expecting.... though there was a way to do things more "naturally"
Thanksa lot for your answer

sbrown
2005-03-10, 06:58 PM
I typcially draw walls first(the vertical pieces of the soffit), with a base offset of whatever height aff it is. then you can attache the bot of the wall to your ceiling. Note use pick walls to create the ceiling. Then to adjust the ceiling you just modify the walls and the ceiling moves with it.

SCShell
2005-03-11, 02:27 AM
Hey there,

Agreed Scott. That is how I do it too. Good luck Daniel.
Steve

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-03-11, 02:13 PM
Here's what i come up with guys, thanks to you

SCShell
2005-03-11, 02:27 PM
Hey there,

Although the DWF was really small on my laptop, it looked good!

Keep it up
Steve