PDA

View Full Version : Revit Implementation

Simon.Whitbread
2005-03-10, 07:17 PM
This is directed at all those who have replaced traditional 2D CAD draughting with Revit and are now using Revit as their sole CAD software....

At implementation stage, was there any criteria for migrating existing projects to Revit?

Our MD has this vision that once we have everyone trained and all new projects are running, any existing projects will be bought into Revit and will continue thought to completion as mixed 2D and 3D data. His aim is to scrap ALL AutoCADs in the studio.

I have experimented with this and its obviously not what Revit was built for, and while my opinion is what he employs me for, I just wanted to know what everyone else is doing in this arena.

Scott D Davis
2005-03-10, 07:25 PM
It is exactly what Revit was built for. You should be moving towards 100% Revit projects, and letting go of AutoCAD. Not that this is immidiate, I think this transition happens over several years or more, depending on company, firm culture, project size, etc.

Simon.Whitbread
2005-03-10, 08:09 PM
Scott,
I think you miss my point. His idea is to import an existing project (AutoCAD 2D) and carry on working 2D in Revit, then exporting 2D for consultants - sounds like fun....NOT!

Steve_Stafford
2005-03-10, 09:16 PM
I'd be inclined to say that if you have projects in AutoCAD and you are in DD or more, it would be "best" to stay with AutoCAD. Unless you are all very comfortable with Revit and the project fee can justify some level of rework...

Finish AutoCAD work in AutoCAD, start new projects or those that are entering early design phases with Revit.

My tuppence...

Scott D Davis
2005-03-10, 09:22 PM
Scott,
I think you miss my point. His idea is to import an existing project (AutoCAD 2D) and carry on working 2D in Revit, then exporting 2D for consultants - sounds like fun....NOT!
totally missed your point.....you are right! It would still be faster to import 2D DWG data, build the 3D model with the DWG as reference, and then export out 2D views back for consultants!

But I would not bring in 2D, work in 2D in Revit, and then export 2D. Revit...in 2D??? That just doesn't even sound right!

aaronrumple
2005-03-10, 10:39 PM
Projects in SD or starting DD. Move them to Revit.

Projects well into DD or CD. Stay with AutoCAD.

As soon as the AutoCAD projects are out the door. Send AutoCAD out the door.

Simon.Whitbread
2005-03-10, 10:46 PM
Thanks Aaron,

How many Revit seats do you have, and what software were you using before changing?

Did the change have any detrimental effects on your practice?

Simon

aaronrumple
2005-03-10, 11:23 PM
Were using floating network licenses for an office with 30ish architects. We also have MEP in-house and a CM department. We're also moving into design and Build.

I've been here a little over a year. The Revit team started out small, but now the whole staff has been trained. MEP is starting to learn Revit as well.

It hasn't all been a bed of roses, but certainly no worse than AutoCAD. I still see 4-5 people standing around for an hour every time a dimvar goes wacky in AutoCAD. I just look over their shoulders and say- hummm, Revit doesn't have that. ;-) I could use an intern for making families. I wish I had more time up front to really work on our templates. There are only two of use that are able to do the real tough odd buildings.

-OTTP-Brembo
2005-03-10, 11:32 PM
We have the Revit series in the office. I obviously do all the plans, elevations and views in Revit.

But I still use Autocad for some detailing. It is still quicker to do the linework in Autocad and then finish it off in Revit with the text etc. The 2D drafting is still a bit cumbersome in Revit.