PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Copy Demo

rbcameron1
2014-12-15, 09:40 PM
How would one go about copying demo objects? I know demolition is not a phase.

I take it demo can only be assigned, not copied? (and no funny guy comments, about how you can click on it and "copy" it!) ;)

We have a client that wants to have two (or three) demolition options. I don't think it calls for design options, I just don't want to have to create 3 separate models, all with different design iterations in it. We're basically too far down the road to "re-assign" all the demo'd doors, walls, windows, etc... and our deadline is in 2 days, so are strategy is to just make a couple different models and link them all together for the final DD package.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

patricks
2014-12-16, 09:40 PM
Copying demolished objects between models? You just have to copy and paste aligned same place into the target model, and while the objects are still selected, set the Created and Demolished parameters for those objects appropriately.

Steve_Stafford
2014-12-16, 10:58 PM
To tag on Patrick's comments... an element is demolished if it's Phase Created parameter is an earlier phase than the Phase Demolished parameter is assigned to.

rbcameron1
2014-12-17, 10:53 PM
hmmm... that gives me another idea. ;)

Thanks guys, I'm screwing around with some things. I know about copy/paste aligned, its more of a work-around for design options. We use them, but....well, anyway, long story short, we have 3 options, and the client wants different designs that require different demolition per each model. I wasn't quite able to achieve what I wanted by copying up and down in the same model. I find its good to tinker around some times to discover (or re-discover) new ways to do things.

So maybe I should just ask my real question. Does anyone find it difficult to do three or four different designs simultaneously in Revit? What direction are people going? Multiple design options? Multiple separate models? Just re-working the same demo, existing and new plans all in the same model?
I don't run into this on a month by month basis, but I'd be interested in knowing how to fight that battle. Seems like a lot of designers are struggling with it.

Worksets?

Steve_Stafford
2014-12-17, 11:06 PM
It is hard enough wrapping our heads around all the different permutations. Getting it all to work within the confines of software whether it is Revit or something else is just another level of complexity.

I try to start at a common place where there is no dispute, we are doing this scope of work regardless. From a documentation standpoint then we can split into phases for traditional demolition and new work documentation. Design Options can help express how different new work will fit into the space but it will be awkward to show different demolition conditions according to different design options.

It may be better to approach those subtle differences with views that are dedicated to design options (forced to show a specific design option with V/G). In those views you can use Override graphics in view > by element to indicate how they might need to be demolished because of the option. Applying filled regions with patterns can "highlight" specific zones that will be affected by the option if chosen. We can tell our story with some graphic gimmicks and notes.

This way you can keep the modelling integrated in one model but not completely model each and every situation fully. You need to provide enough information to help everyone make some decisions but it may not really be necessary to fully model every little thing. In the old days we'd sketch the different ideas on trace, get some traction with one solution or a marriage of a couple ideas and then proceed from there. That can still work today but you can elect to model some areas that are harder to evaluate without the 3D aspect to reach a decision quicker.

rbcameron1
2014-12-18, 07:34 PM
+1 Mr. Stafford. ;)

This project is compact enough where that would really work well. Thanks,

davidcobi
2014-12-20, 09:50 PM
If keeping elements straight is a challenge it helps to group and pin the as-built before proceeding with a remodel.