PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Structural Plans

darryl.john12687970
2015-01-05, 05:11 AM
Hi there, I have been using revit architecture for a while and know the basics, but would like to know the best way to create a wall framing and roof plan for a timber frame house. Is this best done in 3D(if so how is this done) or using 2D detail lines like in autocad?. I have a couple of books at home but they don't seem to go in to this side of things. A little help on this would be much appreciated.

Regards

Darryl P

david_peterson
2015-01-05, 01:45 PM
Are you modeling all the actual studs to do a panelized structure or just the major timber members?
I'd model it using 3d elements. Create a floor plan for to display the walls and post layouts. Create elevation for each one if you really want to create something more like a shop drawing.
It really depends on what the end goal is. Do you want something to show design intent, or do you want something that is more of a shop drawing that provides member sizes and dimensions for every stick of lumber in the building?

darryl.john12687970
2015-01-06, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the reply David. I am trying more to create a builders type plan/s to be used on site rather than a design drawing. Iv'e used mainly AutoCAD in the past and just drawn in 2D indicating the studs etc with a rectangle with a cross through it.

Darryl

jsteinhauer
2015-01-06, 03:05 PM
Darryl,

There is a Revit Extension tool for generating wood stud layouts. Haven't used it very much, and I'm not going to vouch for its accuracy. But, I believe it is a free download from AutoDesk, called Wood Framing Walls. I was going to post an image, but that isn't working.

Cheers,
Jeff S.

darryl.john12687970
2015-01-07, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the reply Jeff, I will try to find the wood framing extension.

Darryl

Craig_L
2015-01-15, 03:37 PM
You will notice that with most structural framing members there are a few settings. When you cycle through coarse, medium, and fine detail - your plan should go from showing 2d stick, 3d item, 3d item (in respective order to detail level).

This means you can do your plans with 2D stick lines like you used to in CAD, or you can go with showing the flanges & webs if you prefer.
I've been in offices that have used both, it really makes little difference to documenting for a builder - what the builder will care about is the member size, and length, and where to place it on the site, the rest is make-up.

You can edit the families to change what shows at certain detail levels, by default they will follow as I described above.
The benefit of using higher detail levels comes more with showing things like bolts, connection plates, etc which are generally tailored to only show at high detail levels (because a 2D stick with a plate and bolts showing would look silly, and messy)

darryl.john12687970
2015-01-27, 02:35 AM
Thanks Craig, I will try this method.

Regards

Darryl