PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Images for Revit Underlays

jcoe
2005-03-11, 02:29 PM
I searched the forum for topics similar to this one but was not able to find what I was looking for. We just recently acquired a new project in the office and the existing drawings have limited dimensions on them to attempt to reconstruct from scratch. We would like to digitally scan the images and use them as Revit underlays to construct our plans but I am not sure how much of a time savings this will be. The question is, can Revit convert imported jpg, tif, gif or other imagery into linework as it does with AutoCAD and can it snap to the data as well?

Tom Dorner
2005-03-11, 03:35 PM
Check out the following tip by Mr. Balding

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=7588&highlight=scale+image

jcoe
2005-03-11, 04:21 PM
As always, you guys ROCK!!
Thanks for the quick response. This is exactly what I was looking for.

max
2005-03-11, 05:06 PM
I went to Jim's post, but could not open the PDF file. Does anyone know another way I could get the information on scanning?

Thanks

Max

jbalding48677
2005-03-11, 07:15 PM
FYI -

To open the PDF you will need reader 5.0 or later and that little tip is out of date as of 7.0 because the "resize" tool does the math for you.

SCShell
2005-03-13, 02:14 PM
FYI -

To open the PDF you will need reader 5.0 or later and that little tip is out of date as of 7.0 because the "resize" tool does the math for you.
Hey there,
I posted this a while ago, but thought you might want to read this:
.....one of the best new timesaving features in version 7 is the "resize" tool. You just click on the image corner, click on the next point (know dimension) and then just move the curser untill you get the running dimension to be what you want (either bigger or smaller depending on the view scale and image size), or simpler yet, just type the dimension after your second click selection. Bang. Your image is exactly the size you need. (You have to do this again if you change the scale of the view you're working in.)

In addition, to help speed up the process of tracing, or working over a scanned JPG image, you may want to "temporary hide" the JPG when you can. These rastor images can really slow things down while they are visible.

Good luck
Steve

sbrown
2005-03-14, 02:03 PM
You can also get the exact image size(scaled properly in revit) by the following procedure.

1. Know what the scale of the original drawing was done at.
2. Scan the file.
3. in photoshop check the image size and record this,(ie. 5.35" x 6.25")
4. Import the file into revit into a view the exact same scale as the orig. drawing.
5. pick on the image and set its size to the size you got from photoshop.

Thats it.