PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Type Mark in a Type Catalog

jsteinhauer
2015-01-06, 10:29 PM
Hi All,

I am trying to push Type Mark data from a Type Catalog into a project, but it doesn't seem to be taking. It tells me that Type Mark is not a parameter available in the family. Will someone let me know if this is possible or not?

Thank you,
Jeff S.

Dimitri Harvalias
2015-01-08, 12:29 AM
Jeff,
I believe Type Mark only becomes available for families once they are loaded into the project environment thus they can't be assigned as part of the type catalog.

jsteinhauer
2015-01-08, 03:22 PM
Thank you Dimitri,

I ended up using a add in tool for transferring the data to that parameter. In doing so I had to place an instance of every one of those types, before they would be available within that tool. This was an issue because we were using the Type Mark within the family category tag. I understand that there are some parameters that really wouldn't be available within the family until it gets placed within a project, but why would Type Mark be one of them?

Thanks again Dimitri,
Jeff S.

david_peterson
2015-01-08, 05:24 PM
My guess is because it's a revit default and they don't ever want it to be removed so it's hard coded in the project.

jsteinhauer
2015-01-08, 06:11 PM
My guess is because it's a revit default and they don't ever want it to be removed so it's hard coded in the project.

There are plenty of hard coded parameters within families that are not able to be removed/edited. I think this is just an oversight on the developers end, not understanding how the industry would use those parameters. There needs to be a long conversation about what parameters appear where and when. This is only one example, there are several others.

dhurtubise
2015-01-09, 08:40 AM
Dimitri is right. Type Catalog can only interact with the parameter ALREADY in the family. Type Mark is not one of them. Type Comment for example is.

CADastrophe
2015-01-09, 03:53 PM
Dimitri is right. Type Catalog can only interact with the parameter ALREADY in the family. Type Mark is not one of them. Type Comment for example is.

I received the same Warning Message when experimenting and attempting to target "Type Comments" and "Manufacturer" in my Type Catalog. All of the user-created Parameters worked fine. (Revit 2014)

Warning
The parameter Type Comments doesn't exist in the Family. It will be ignored.

Warning
The parameter Manufacturer doesn't exist in the Family. It will be ignored.

dkoch
2015-01-12, 04:11 AM
I have run into that in the past, with text type parameters. The parameter existed in the family, but had never been edited and Revit did not recognize it as being in the family. Adding a value in the family (even if I later deleted it) allowed Revit to recognize the parameter and make use of it when using a type catalog. See this blog article (http://architects-desktop.blogspot.com/2013/08/revit-type-catalogs.html) for more details.