PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to lock a view?

Max Lloyd
2005-03-11, 03:20 PM
Is there a way to lock a specific view? I am just starting on another big site plan and figured it would be quite cool to have a 3d view set up that daily or half-daily, I export a jpg file from. That way I will get a series of jpgs that chart the progress of the job.

I need either to lock the view or be able to re-instate the view as otherwise I am sure I will inadvertently move its view at some point or another.

thanks,

Max.

roy.70844
2005-03-11, 04:23 PM
Hello Max,

You could try placing a camera. This will be in perspective, of course. You are much less likely to accidentally move a camera than spin the 3d view.
OR...
Right click on the {3D} view and choose Duplicate. Rename the copy of {3D} to something like...DO NOT EDIT THIS VIEWPOINT.

Roy

Max Lloyd
2005-03-11, 04:38 PM
Thanks,

I have already duplicated the view and hopefully won't move it! (Although I happen to think the camera idea is better)

Something else very odd has happened though, and I have only noticed due to this process. I have been adding subregions to my topography, and they have been affecting the contours. (Flick through the 3 files attached).

It was my understanding that the subregions simply sat on top of the topography.... obviously not! Seems like a problem to me!

aggockel50321
2005-03-12, 03:13 PM
In a 3d view, if you pick that little spin icon on the toolbar with the eyeball in it, the spin dialog pops up, and there's another button in that dialog for saving the view. This'll let you give the view a name & save it in it's present position.

Scott D Davis
2005-03-12, 05:49 PM
Try this: (i haven't tested) Go to an overall 3D view, and then right-click on the 3D view you want to preserve in the project browser, and select Show Camera. Once the camera is displayed in the overall 3D view, use the Pin tool to 'lock' it's position. This may keep you from changing the view.

Scott Hopkins
2005-03-12, 10:15 PM
Try this: (i haven't tested) Go to an overall 3D view, and then right-click on the 3D view you want to preserve in the project browser, and select Show Camera. Once the camera is displayed in the overall 3D view, use the Pin tool to 'lock' it's position. This may keep you from changing the view.
Nice try Scott but pinning the camera has no effect.

Max Lloyd
2005-03-12, 11:00 PM
Thanks guys, but not sure any of those quite work. Andrewg, doing that saves another view, but does not stop you altering the view or as far as I can see, give you the option to restore that view?

As I said though, this process has uncovered a much more disturbing issue (not trying to be too dramatic!) , but why is it that adding sub-regions to a topography should affect the contours of that topography? Any suggestions?

aggockel50321
2005-03-14, 01:57 PM
but does not stop you altering the view or as far as I can see, give you the option to restore that view?
May not be the answer your looking for, but it will restore the view saved if you close the project & then re-open it. The view will restore to it's saved camera setting.

As I said though, this process has uncovered a much more disturbing issue (not trying to be too dramatic!) , but why is it that adding sub-regions to a topography should affect the contours of that topography?
Take a look at this thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=12226&highlight=contour+shift) for an explanation.

Max Lloyd
2005-03-14, 02:57 PM
Thanks andrewg, very useful. At least there is an explanation as to why its happening, even if I still feel it shouldn't.

I think that potentially the sub-region tool is very useful, but in using it a lot, it is still very cumbersome. Especially with sub-regions apparently overlapping etc. Though I still think its the best way to assign materials to a site.

Pity not to be able to give them a depth or height though, it would be great for pavements etc. Oh well, we can but dream!

Thanks,

Max.