PDA

View Full Version : Align symbol

nrenfro
2003-11-21, 02:02 AM
I am just becoming brave enough start building families from scratch. As a result of not having a grasp on all the fundamentals yet this is a very basic question. I am trying to create a Align symbol and note that is wall based so I do not have to manually rotate the family after placement. What is the best family template to workout of to accomplish this? I have been unsuccessful at finding a template that wall aware and allows for labels. I have noticed people have drawn in text for electrical symbols is this because what I am trying to do is not possible?

jbalding48677
2003-11-21, 03:00 AM
When you say align tool, do you mean the flip arrows? If so they are on the family editor design bar and are labeled Control. Go to help (F1) and put in "Controls and handles, flip control".

mlgatzke
2003-11-21, 03:12 AM
nrenfro,

Do you mean a "Match" line? As in the symbol used when a drawing is too big to fit on a single sheet and has to be split onto multiple sheets? The line is used to realign the two or more images.

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-21, 03:13 AM
Are you trying to create a symbol/note that says something like...Align wall with ....

You probably need to create a shared parameter and use that to add an instance based parameter to your family.

Can you post a graphic image of what you're after, I'm sure that would help us get you on track.

nrenfro
2003-11-21, 04:36 AM
An image. Brilliant!

and thank you,

beegee
2003-11-21, 05:00 AM
AKA match line or break line.

There are a number available on RUGI, I think, if you want to use one of those, although I see you want to make a specific type that attaches to a wall. The existing families can be flipped and rotated using the control arrows already in place, that JB spoke of.

These are usually detail components, so you would use that template normally. They have solid white filled areas attached to cover a portion of the drawing.

Is that what you need ?

nrenfro
2003-11-21, 05:24 AM
I have reposted a image to clarify.
I would use the symbol to indicate my (the architect's) desire to aline a the finish face of a new wall with that of a existing wall. I would like the symbol to be wall based to avoid the steep of rotating the symbol after placing it.

beegee
2003-11-21, 06:25 AM
Hookay,

Just ignore everything I said before.

If it were me, I'd make it as a detail component with control arrows to flip and mirror, then I'd just align it to the wall. That is very simple to do and takes no time.

You could try doing it in a wall based template, I not sure how successful that will be.

JamesVan
2003-11-21, 05:26 PM
Wouldn't you just use an Annotation family template and use an invisible line for aligning with a building object (what if it's not a wall?). As an Annotation Symbol, it will scale with the view.

I'll work on this one. Perhaps post it in a little while.

JamesVan
2003-11-21, 05:36 PM
Wow, that was fast. Check these out.

nrenfro
2003-11-21, 10:38 PM
Acting on Beegee's advice I created something similar to you posted James, thank you both. I am torn weather it should be a Detail Component, or a Annotation symbol. I like having the ability to use the flip arrows to arrange the symbol on the page however, having it scale with the view is worthy of sacrificing the flip arrows.
the advice and especially the posted symbol have been very helpful, Thank you.

On a broader note. I did try it once more as a generic wall based family and was unable to get any text to display. My question is what is the thought that governs things like having access to labels, Reference plane settings, and Control arrows? I expect that overtime the diversity of the family templates will grow to the point that intuitive notations among other things will become more typical.

JamesVan
2003-11-24, 06:07 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I think you could create an annotation family as I have, then load it into a wall-hosted family. You may be able to get the best of both worlds. I did this with an exit sign in the past. The notation symbol will scale, but the rest of the family will not.