PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Replica furniture components - copyright issues?

carloly649031
2015-01-16, 06:10 PM
Hi all,
I've been working on a personal project of mine, a website that offers free Revit furniture components to download by anyone. At the moment I've been going on designer websites and looked at the specs of sofas and tables and modeled as close as I can to the pictures.

My question is, if I name the furniture with the same name and offer it to people (for free), will there be any legal implications to copyright infringement, etc? Or do I have to give it a generic name like Table 01? I'd much refer the furniture retain it's original naming.

Thanks

david_peterson
2015-01-16, 07:06 PM
My first question would be why not ask the manufacturer. Heck you might even get paid for your troubles.
I'm not sure you'd have any copyright infringement unless that name that you used was actually copyrighted.
Lazboy Lancer might not be, but La z boy Lancer Reclina-RockerĀ® is. Or another option would be to misspell it; Lay ze Boy. Just throwing out options.

jsteinhauer
2015-01-16, 07:23 PM
A short answer to your question, Yes there are going to be legal implications. What they are is going to depend on who you deal with. Are you sure that some of these manufacturers don't already have Revit content out there? They may have it hosted behind a log-in/pay wall.

I agree with Dave, contact the manufacturers and they might be interested in paying you for modeling their content (or hosting it). I would make sure to approach them as a a modeling service, with the potential of increased sales. But make sure not to make a promise.

Cheers,
Jeff S.