PDA

View Full Version : Angles off by 0.04 degrees

DaveP
2005-03-11, 06:30 PM
We've got a building that's moving from SD to DD (about 85,000 Sq Ft).
As we're trying to Dimension it, Revit won't let us add dimensions between many of the walls. We tried adding Angular dimensions, and it looked like everything was 90.0 degrees, but when we bumped up the number of decimals to 5, it turns out that many of the walls are 89.95875, or 89.99997, or 90.00011 degrees.
First question - Can anyone guess how this may happened (BTW, all out grids are 90.0000)?
Second question - what can I do about it? Is there any way to fix this other than adding a whole lot of Angular Dims & manually checking/Adjusting every single wall in the whole building?

Scott D Davis
2005-03-11, 06:36 PM
did you trace AutoCAD plans to start the project? If your grids are 90, you can align walls to grids, and this will mkae them 90. You can alos use Ref planes that are 90, and align walls to them.

sbrown
2005-03-11, 07:46 PM
You've go to work your way around the building and fix each wall. You learned the hardway, I've done it many many times. Don't feel too bad, just work your way around the builidng squaring everything off. One tip when you trace a building is to hold down your shift key and don't snap to the dwg itself.

DaveP
2005-03-11, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Would that I could use the SHIFT key. Unfortunately, we've got a bunch of d*** Architects around here. The building is two wings, each at 10 degrees off 90.

I gotta believe that's where the problem arose in the first place. When someone first laid out the grid, it must have been a LEETLE BEET crooked, then walls were drawn off the crooked grid, then walls were drawn off crooked walls..... Eventually the grid got fixed, but now guess who gets to fix the rest.

PaulB
2005-03-11, 10:34 PM
When I had just started using Revit I found that as I, sometimes, extended a wall by "pulling" the "grip" and didn't keep an eye on the little pop-up message that tells you whether the direction you are pulling in is "original". I found that I was pulling the walls slightly off the original line due to having other automatic snap choices available.

My solution was to keep a very close eye on the cursor "messages" or to create a temp. wall at 90 degs and trim to that wall.

Unfortunately you only need one wall to be off at the beginning to create lots of problems if you use that one wall to offset or copy from.

As the others have said, try and align with the Grids. I don't believe there is an easy way to correct this without going through every wall - it may be that only walls in one direction are off so try and find which direction is off.

Good Luck,

Paul

funkman
2005-03-12, 12:18 AM
Me too has done this. The easy way I found to fix it was to do an angle dimension from all walls/objects to grids perpendicular to them. Select the object and correct the angle to 90deg.

Wes Macaulay
2005-03-12, 02:30 AM
I set up templates for offices and always include a precise angular and linear dimension style so they can check to see if things are off-angle - I make 'em red so they don't get left around ;-)