PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Ability to read from a .txt file into Revit text (similar to how Rtext works for Autocad)

Nickdp
2015-02-12, 12:43 PM
Anyone know how to get the ability (an app?) to have text in Revit that links to a source text file?
In other words, being able get the same functionality that the RTEXT command gives to AutoCAD.

cheers

Steve_Bennett
2015-02-13, 03:34 PM
Not to my knowledge. The closest Revit tool to rtext would be found on Extensions> Tools> Text Generator.

Basically it lets you browse to a text file, import and format the text. No link is maintained between the two.

Most info in Revit should be able to be displayed by other means, schedules, labels, etc. all help display that for documentation. The one exception I've seen one company hit was they wanted to use Sheet Specs, a dedicated sheet housing all the project specs. AutoCAD wins in situations like that. One would argue that the specs should have been embedded in the model, thats another story for another time...

Nickdp
2015-02-14, 09:00 AM
thanks Steve,

I must confess I thought about it for a long time and concluded there was no way... posting my question was as a last resort (you never know!)..

closest way would be a keynote legend of only one key .... the text that needs to be "live" ..

dhurtubise
2015-02-16, 07:47 AM
If you have AutoCAD you can use a link file to keep it "live"
Link the cad file in Revit and update both files as you go along.

Nickdp
2015-02-26, 11:46 AM
yes that's how I ended up solving it .. that is, an acad drawing with a piece of Rtext (therefore live updating) in turn linked into revit.
I had the solution in the heading to this post.
cheers