PDA

View Full Version : 2014 External walls as one part or two?

mercutio_16
2015-03-19, 07:39 AM
Hi Guys,

I remember reading a post some time ago about building the external wall of a multistory building as two separate parts, an external part, and then a separate part of the internal finish. My personal preference has always been to use as few parts as possible to when modeling walls, but recently I came across a project where a curtain wall was being used to represent a typical bay. The bay was a glazed panel (window) a solid solid panel (wall), and a louvered panel above both. The whole thing is framed by mullions (pics below). The problem is that the wall part of the bay is not just a finished panel, but an actual wall with complete buildup. This means that the mullion that is framing it divides the bay wall and the normal wall next to it leaving a gap on the internal face. Looking at the options to avoid this, the solutions I came up with are:
1- Build the external wall as two separate parts, that way the finish on the inside can be dragged to avoid the gap caused by the mullion.
2- Build the curtain wall bay as only the window and the louvers, edit the profile to be an upside down L shape, then use a sweep to represent the framing of the wall panel.
3- Build the window and louver as a window family. (A bit time consuming as the whole building has already been modeled)
4- Use parts to drag the interior face to the window edge.
5-??

Regardless of which method I use, I still end up with problems when it comes to wrapping the inside (and outside) finish into the window reveal. I know I can use a wall opening to show the walls wrapping, however this method takes the wrapped finish from one side (interior or exterior) all the way to the other side.

What are your thoughts on this, and how would you guys go about building it?

Thanks