PDA

View Full Version : Making North Arrows Smart

jcoe
2005-03-14, 02:53 PM
I tried posting this in families, but got no response.

I have a question regarding making north arrows "smart." Attached is the north arrow that I have made. Here I have set up a type parameter that will allow one to enter the angle north within a project title block and all north arrows in the project will rotate accordingly. In addition, I have a visibility control on the north arrow as an instance parameter so you can opt what sheets you want to show the north arrow. This being said, some changes have been suggested by others in the office for more flexibility. This is the request.

We would like to have the text "North" or just the initial "N" to rotate with the arrow. I have tried a few different approaches, but they do not seem to want to work. What I did was try to group the text with the arrow, but when I tried to flex it, I got constrain errors.

In addition to the above, we would also like to include within the same north arrow, a project north that flexes in the same manner as mentioned above.

Is this even possible? and if so How might I go about it?

Thank you in advance.

J. Grouchy
2005-03-14, 03:08 PM
I'd like to see a North Arrow that automatically comes in pointing to True North/Project North...or is there already one I don't know about? Would save me having to enter any info at all once I've set up the true north angle.

DanielleAnderson
2005-03-14, 06:34 PM
I would also love to know if this is possible!

aggockel50321
2005-03-14, 07:28 PM
Here's one that might help. Note that the text is inserted as a nested family (generic annotation) rather than as a text object. That way you can constrain it's origin to a reference line or plane.

If you want to see the component symbols are set up, open the file & save out the two nested families.

Since the angle is a type parameter, all these will rotate within the project, assuming you only use one type of the symbol.

HTH

jcoe
2005-03-14, 10:17 PM
andrewg,

This has been most helpful. I do have a question though. How did you get your "N" to rotate with your angle north. I duplicated what you did with my own family, but I am unable to get the "N" to rotate with my angle north. See Attached. I think it has something to do with how the "N" imported family is determining the angle starting point and the angle starting point in the north arrow family, but I am not sure how to resolve this.

aggockel50321
2005-03-15, 12:49 PM
I may have misspoke in my previous post, about constraining your generic annotation to the north line with the align / lock tool.

Rather, do this:

Place your generic annotation where you want it to be positioned & align it's vertical axis with your north direction line (don't lock the alignment).

Then add an angular diminsion from the base reference plan to the vertical origin plane of your generic annotation. Add the same parameter (Angle of North) to it.

Flex it & see that it works.

jcoe
2005-03-15, 02:43 PM
andrewg,

Thank you for the clarification. The family flexes quite well now except for two angles. I am unable to use 180deg. I keep getting constrain errors on the arrow itself but the "N" seems to act as expected. Something funny happens when I use 0deg. When I type in 0deg the family flexes to 0 OK. When I go from 0 to some other angle, the arrow moves correctly by the "N" only rotates in place and no longer follows the arrow. I tried locking the "N" to the arrow. This solved one issue and caused others.

It seems that the program understands what it is I am trying to do, but there seems to be one missing variable that is preventing this from working. The example in your post seemed to work fine, but for some reason I am unable to duplicate it.

Thanks again for the assistance.