PDA

View Full Version : Floor Finish

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-03-14, 03:38 PM
When in a room i got more then one floor finish. Say i got a square room made of wood,but in the middle i got a round insertion of carpet. What is the best way to do that?
I used two different floor types, any idea would be much appreciated.

Other thing is in ADT i can get the calculation display of all those surfaces, can i get it in Revit to ?

zanzibarbob7
2005-03-14, 04:52 PM
You can use the Split Face tool and create as many seperate surface areas as you want. Each will fill as you indicate.

sbrown
2005-03-14, 05:35 PM
make a second floor ontop of the first, then use the join geometry tool to "hide the hatch of the first". Now if you need to schedule the floors, edit the first and pick the perimeter of the second so it truely cuts out the floor.

DanielleAnderson
2005-03-15, 01:19 AM
Other thing is in ADT i can get the calculation display of all those surfaces, can i get it in Revit to ?

To get the area of the floor, just go to properties and it will be under the dimensions list there.

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-03-15, 01:34 AM
Not sure about the 2 floor thing. Isnt there a more simple way to do a floor finish insertion ?

SkiSouth
2005-03-15, 02:27 AM
Not sure about the 2 floor thing. Isnt there a more simple way to do a floor finish insertion ?

Is there a simple way to build a real finish floor with an insertion? Remember, with Revit, draw it like you would build it. The debate over how to show floor finishes is on going. Some like the thought of building the slab, then placing a second "floor" on the first - which would be the finishes - just like it would be built. The alternative is to "fake-it" and split the face of the floor and paint the areas with finishes. It just depends on what you need. While it might sound difficult, the methods mentioned are fairly simple to accomplish, just get use to "unlearning" the traditional CAD mentality.

SCShell
2005-03-15, 01:56 PM
Hey there,

I like adding floor finishes as additional floors on top of the concrete "finish floor" elevation slab. It makes for better dimensioning from FFL since you rarely dimension to floor finishes. Plus, in renderings, you seem to get better control of finish heights and changes in materials. Floor finish areas are easier to calculate as well I think when they are separated like this.

Good Luck
Steve

aaronrumple
2005-03-15, 03:05 PM
I also use the floor finish technique. In addition to quantities, it allows me to put those finishes in a separate Interiors workset.

I also don't attach my base trim to the wall, but rather the finished floor as a slab edge. Too many sweeps on walls can be a real pain to update all the time, but slab edges can be applied to the entire room with just a couple of mouse clicks. (...guess I should post this one as a tip 'o the month.)

sbrown
2005-03-15, 03:52 PM
creating a floor is as quick as creating a filled region, draw 4 lines, finish. Now you can copy this floor all over your model and edit it as needed. So you create a few floor finish types of floors with the appropriate surf pattern on them an you are ready to rock. And if you need to know how much of each type you have you can generate a floor schedule.

The only thing you can't do unfortunately is tag floors so you can't associate a finish tag with the floor type.

Phil Palmer
2005-03-16, 08:46 AM
Lets just hope that sooooooon the factory will give us a 'floor finish' catagory.

This will make it easier to handle display issues rather than having to always use worksets to out floor finishes on.
Skirting boards as floor slab edges is just so simple and easy to accomplish for each room as Aaron has said.

SkiSouth
2005-03-16, 11:56 AM
Skirting boards as floor slab edges is just so simple and easy to accomplish for each room as Aaron has said.

This is a different approach to base detailing. Will the doors still cut the base if associated with a floor rather than a wall?

Phil Palmer
2005-03-16, 12:30 PM
The Doors will not cut out the baseboard but its very quick to just select the hosted profile and move the blue dots (drag points) to create the door opening.
A few additional clicks but lots of control I think.

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-03-16, 12:37 PM
Good idea Phil, can you post the file so i can share with other ?
I also post a little video of my floor thinggy, i find it cool so i thought sharing it was worth it :-)

Thanks for your help again guys

Phil Palmer
2005-03-16, 01:07 PM
No Problem - Like the Video Also !

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-03-16, 01:14 PM
Thanks a lot

dazza163968596
2005-03-16, 01:18 PM
Daniel

I can't get your video to play what codec do you need to view it.

Thanks

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-03-16, 01:34 PM
http://www.getafile.com/cgi-bin/merlot/get/techsmith/tscc/TSCC.exe

Get it from here
www.techsmith.com, they have a screen capture tool

bowlingbrad
2005-03-16, 01:36 PM
What about rooms with floors that have multiple finishes? Like a stone border around carpet? Or even a carpet border?

sbrown
2005-03-16, 01:39 PM
Great Tip Aaron, definately going to help me on the next interiors job we are doing.

dazza163968596
2005-03-16, 01:44 PM
http://www.getafile.com/cgi-bin/merlot/get/techsmith/tscc/TSCC.exe

Get it from here
www.techsmith.com (http://www.techsmith.com/), they have a screen capture tool
Thanks Daniel it worked, wierd to see revit moving on its own.

Phil Palmer
2005-03-16, 01:53 PM
What about rooms with floors that have multiple finishes? Like a stone border around carpet? Or even a carpet border?
Take a look at Daniel's video - That does what you are asking