PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Multi-story building external walls single skin, or double?

mercutio_16
2015-04-09, 07:57 AM
Hey guys,

I have a question about building external walls for a multi-level apartment building, and best practice.
I know this question comes up quite often, but I still am unsure about whether there really is a common practice method for this.
Over the past few years, I have worked on a number of different multi level buildings, and each one has been set up differently in terms of external walls, from a single wall-type per floor, two separate skins per floor (external finish + structure and internal finish), to two skins (structure and internal finish per floor) + (external finish ground to top).

Each one has advantages and disadvantages. On one hand, having a single wall external wall means you don't have to worry about moving things twice, on the other hand if you use curtain wall windows, you end up having to build your reveals into the window/panel as the walls will not wrap on both sides.

I generally like using a single wall, and having as few pieces as possible, however, I also believe in modeling things the way they would be built in the real world. So, if I was going to do that, I would actually build the external wall as two separate skins, the external finish + Structure and internal finish per floor method. This method is great because you can define your internal spaces to the internal wall parts, and don't have to worry as much about them moving. Also if the external finish changes, or the slab edge moves, the walls and spaces aren't affected as much, but you have to remember to move both walls if something changes, your windows and doors do not automatically cut both skins unless you join them, so you see both have positives and negatives.

I know a lot of structural engineers prefer working with a separate structural buildup, but I am curious about how everyone else work??