PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Can't place wall footing

vanderloo5
2015-04-27, 05:14 PM
I'm doing a design which includes a very small residential subterranean wine cellar and I have 6" concrete stemwalls which I have placed some 60" x 12" deep footings underneath.
For some reason, one of the footings has disappeared and when I try to recreate it, I'm unable to select any of the 6" concrete stemwalls??
I tried in 3d view and I am able to select walls at grade level for this footing but none of the lower walls will select.
3 out of 4 of them already have this footing applied. Used to be 4 out of 4 but one is MIA.

rbcameron1
2015-04-27, 06:04 PM
Phil,

Hello again, it's been awhile since we last talked. How's the 3dsMax rendering going?

What is that green dashed line around that area? is possibly a scope box? It might be inadvertently removing that footing.
Second guess is that when you go to place that footing, it might be doing something crazy like trying to place it on a level it doesn't belong. Do you get a warning when you try to place it, or does it just not place anything.? If you do, what does the warning say?

Plan B. Delete out that stem wall that isn't working. Copy a wall and footing that IS working, rotate it and put it in the place you want it. I can just about guarantee that'll work. ;)

vanderloo5
2015-04-27, 06:43 PM
RB Nice to hear from you. Still plugging away on the max stuff.
As it turns out, the reason I was unable to place this footing is because it was already there, but labeled in another phase. So it wasn't visible. I knew it was there at one time.
Apparently I inadvertently changed it's phase.

Craig_L
2015-05-04, 07:26 AM
As a structural modeler that frequently models these wall footings, I will suggest one thing that will save you a ton of time. Don't use the wall hosted footings. They behave terribly. Instead use the isolated footings and model them to a reference plane or the host level plane. I find reference planes are easier to control for footings, you can just constrain them to your level and adjust them easily if they ever need to change. The wall hosted footings will do bizzare things frequently, like push down somewhere out of sight, detach from the wall, and not step properly when the wall level changes. Even worse if you have modified the profile of the wall at all, it can cause weird problems with the wall hosted footings. In short, don't use them, you gain a tiny bit of time in placing them, but you lose all that time later and then some trying to deal with odd behaviours. Thats just my 2 cents, I rarely use wall hosted footings unless I know its just a plain old straight wall and the base of it is flat and it doesnt need to be modified.