PDA

View Full Version : 2015 split face and brick patterns

MikeJarosz
2015-05-06, 05:06 PM
I'm aligning brick patterns and brick colors using split face and paint. In edit boundary mode, everything lines up, but when I finish the edit, the joint patterns shift out of synch with the overall pattern. What's up?

http://forums.augi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=99573&stc=1

http://forums.augi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=99574&stc=1

patricks
2015-05-06, 07:52 PM
What you're seeing in the sketch mode is the pattern of the overall wall surface pattern. In the result, it's the painted pattern that's shifted a bit. You should be able to tab-select the pattern lines in the painted area to get it lined up with the main wall's pattern.

MikeJarosz
2015-05-08, 03:33 PM
What you're seeing in the sketch mode is the pattern of the overall wall surface pattern. In the result, it's the painted pattern that's shifted a bit. You should be able to tab-select the pattern lines in the painted area to get it lined up with the main wall's pattern.

Revit is amazing. I never realized that the pattern in a split face could be edited independently of the main field pattern! Thanks

EDIT:

BTW. It seems that split faces cannot be copied, arrayed or otherwise manipulated globally. Revit won't even allow more than one region when in edit mode.

Say it ain't so! Am I missing something? I have three accent bricks every 7th course on all four elevations!!!!! I'll be here 'til midnight.

patricks
2015-05-08, 05:01 PM
I would probably just use a thin wall-hosted family for that. I have a "flat trim" family that I use for all kinds of stuff like that, usually I'll make it stick out only 1/8" or 1/4" or something.

Dimitri Harvalias
2015-05-08, 05:17 PM
I'm with you Patrick but I'd suggest that the family be the same thickness as they actual veneer brick and that it cuts its host. That way you ensure it looks right in section, won't cause any dimensional discrepancies and the area of the field brick schedules correctly. The other nice thing about a family is you can create your three brick pattern in the family and and copy it all over the place. If the pattern changes just change the family.

LP Design
2015-05-26, 02:30 PM
My firm has run into a similar situation before and we solved it in a very non-bim way, but it probably saved hours worth of futzing about. We just made a new view and added a couple of filled regions to document the pattern we wanted. Part of the reason this worked is that we didn't put this detail in until late in the process when the walls were definitely set. If they had changed we would have had to re-do the manual pattern view, but if we had actually added model elements it would have probably been even more trouble to re-do that work.

Either way I would agree with the posts above that using multiple split faces is NOT the way to go. I had some hair-pulling moments on another issue before I realized you could split face within a split face, and figuring out what was hosted to what was an absolute nightmare. I've had good results using split faces for floor patterns, but never for walls. Just my 2ยข.

-LP

MikeJarosz
2015-05-26, 06:29 PM
I agree that split face was a bad choice. It works for a few small details, but if your brick has extensive diaperwork on all four elevations, you will be coloring your bricks one at a time. The only reason I bothered is because it was started that way by someone else. I just had to update it.

LP Design
2015-05-26, 07:10 PM
The only reason I bothered is because it was started that way by someone else.
Been there.

Here's an image of a project where we went the totally opposite direction and modeled EVERYTHING. Each one of those colorful tiles is a separate element. The problem in this case was the original modeler used "wall" elements instead of generic extrusions so there were lots of wall join/cleanup issues. You can still see some of them at the corners that were never resolved.