PDA

View Full Version : 2015 brick patterns

MikeJarosz
2015-05-08, 02:59 PM
I have inherited a brick building project begun by someone else, long gone of course..... The brick has a decorative pattern built into it. Instead of creating the field brick with an inherent material and using split faces for the decorative inserts, they did the whole thing with paint! Is this a good idea? If I want quantity take offs of just the accent blue bricks, can I break them out if the only indication is paint?

patricks
2015-05-08, 05:03 PM
I have found split faces areas with different materials painted on can be quite finicky. The last building I did like that kept having the main wall take on the painted material of the accents, and I kept having to "Remove Paint" to change it back, like after almost any sort of edit that affected that wall.

harkeychad
2015-05-08, 05:19 PM
I am using the masonry designer add-in from acme brick. Can you show a picture of what you are saying. If there is not a lot of them, how about just a in place family or make a generic family non hosted to easily move around. I agree about the paint option from patricks. If only a few then you can but if it is everywhere you need a way to be able to change all of them easily without effecting anything else.

Dimitri Harvalias
2015-05-08, 05:25 PM
See your other post
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?161579-split-face-and-brick-patterns

As for scheduling, the painted material will schedule as Material:as paint so you can get a separate quantity. I'd probably go the family route and just calculate the number of accent features to get your quantity. That sort of take-off is more about number of bricks vs total area.

MikeJarosz
2015-05-08, 06:00 PM
The project is four police stations for a local community. The first is under construction. The others are similar but not the same, so we have to create a new set of drawings for each. The photo is a first station under construction. The little blue bricks on the far right, on the edge, are what I'm working on now. What a pain!

harkeychad
2015-05-08, 07:42 PM
I would of used sweeps in the wall types then just paint/split face those corner pieces. if only for elevations you can just use filled regions. if needed 3d wise use reveals

MikeJarosz
2015-05-08, 08:19 PM
I would have done it differently too. I wasn't on the starting line.

harkeychad
2015-05-08, 08:39 PM
So what did you decide on how to do it? Ill check back in on Monday.

MikeJarosz
2015-05-11, 06:19 PM
My predecessor determined how it is done. I have no time to change it. The full elevation is drawn to the height/width extents, then edit profile was used to punch out holes where the the recessed panels are to be inserted. The problem with that approach is that there is only one brick pattern origin. The precast is in 12 foot panels and should have been modeled that way. If I fix that pattern in the first panel, it looks wrong in the other panels.

A Revit model should be constructed the way it is to be built. In this case, as 12' individual panels. That would give me a unique brick origin on each panel.