PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade error

J. Grouchy
2005-03-15, 04:40 PM
I'm getting the following series of errors when I attempt to upgrade a project from 6.1 to 7.

In the first message, it tells me how to fix the error...but as you can see in the subsequent error messages, that method is not possible. There are no apparent problems with the 6.1 model, so I don't understand the error messages. I don't have any local files (delete them regularly). I even duplicated the Gutter types in the Project Browser as it tells me to and I get the same error messages.

Now, I suppose I can leave it in 6.1...but I've recently been told that upgrading is usually not a problem. This is my biggest (ONLY) issue with the frequent releases...that at some point I might not be able to bring in a project from 3 versions ago and will end up having to either recreate something from scratch or lose a significant amount of information in the upgrade.

cosmickingpin
2005-03-15, 05:14 PM
In three years I have had two projects that got the errors you describe. The best thing is to always keep a version of the previously installed on a computer somewhere, exported pdf's of every sheet that goes out of your office (that is just a good idea anyway) and when you get the error telling you to contact autodesk; call that 1.866.go.revit and tell them you have a file that need to be manually upgraded. I got it back within an hour once (it was aline on a view somewhere that neede to be ereased for some weird reason, I call then Revit Gremlins[or URO-unexplained revit occurences] but those are rare) . There will be slight disturbances to your file, wall sweeps might disappear, walls might detach from roof, etc. Nothing that can't be fixed in short order mostly, but these do tend to be rare and usually result when there is a modification the the feature in the update. I have never lost any data though.
I would efinately call autodesk and have them manually upgrade any files you are having problems with beyond normal file upgrades, and make it their problem, and let them earn that license fee.