PDA

View Full Version : Funky roof challenge - can revit do this?

noah
2005-03-15, 08:24 PM
Anyone want to take a crack at how to make this roof? This geometry is the inside ceiling surface so the roof thickness would be from here out. The image attached is the plan view. The file is a wireframe - all edges are 24' in length (1/2 of a cuboctahedron).

My attempts would not preserve the square panels. I tried doing separate roofs for each panel but I'm confused on how to get the seams between squares and triangles to cleanup.

All surfaces should be the same thickness including the top triangle (say 8"). But, it might be nice to have a separate piece for the top so I can make 12" or something.

cosmickingpin
2005-03-15, 08:30 PM
Lately when I have funky funky roof with a funky style, I just make a massing object and attach a roof to the particular faces. In this case just create the 3d geometry with the the right combination of solids and voids and turn off the massing after you attach the roof to the particular faces. Perfect roof all done, easy to edit.
the only catch is that for some ungodly reasomn roofs alone have the dubous distinction of being the only model object you can't dissassociate from the massing tool, so you will need to keep your original mass around to edit the rood further down the road.

Phil Read
2005-03-15, 09:57 PM
Pick multiple faces in one go.

See attached.

All the best -

Phil

jbalding48677
2005-03-15, 11:21 PM
seems to me you could do a different slope to each of the sides of the hexagon. I added to Phil's, while it is not exactly the same as you would have to use some trial and error, it is a hexagon of 24'-0" sides with some slope flexibility. The flat portion is a separate roof.

Scott D Davis
2005-03-15, 11:40 PM
Phil:

whats up? something is a bit off....

noah
2005-03-16, 01:31 AM
Thanks guys. I hadn't explored the roof by mass yet. But I think Jim's gives me what I want. I didn't realize you could cut an opening for the triangle to force the square sides. You guys rock! A third option that I finally came up with was to model a triangular face and a square face separately and array them (plus a flat one on top). Seems to work pretty well and it isolates the faces so I can play with them separately (add dormers and thicker flat roof).