PDA

View Full Version : graphic question having to do with wall veneers

jmhadley352461
2015-06-15, 07:15 PM
My boss, coming from the CAD world, is requesting that our exterior wall (brick veneer on metal stud) be shown graphically in plan as (brick/air space/everything else)...see attached for our Revit model and a CAD example of what he's after. All other interior partitions should be gray poche unless cmu or concrete, which would have their own cut patterns.

I've tried to explain to him that Revit does not think this way. Revit, as controlled by detail level, is only able to show one cut pattern or the cut pattern of each component of the wall. In order to achieve the look he's after, there are a few tortured work-arounds that, in my opinion, sacrifice many efficiencies Revit offers.

You can make the wall three components (brick/air space/everything else) and then show the walls at medium detail level. But this is terrible and inefficient for every wall section and detail.

You can change the object styles of the walls so that the common edges are the same gray as the cut pattern of your 'everything else'. But you would still have to have detail level medium and it doesn't help much with the inefficiencies I refer to above.

He suggested I model a double wall condition (brick and everything else), which is even terribler and inefficienter.

I'm close to convincing him to do it the Revit way (i.e. course level detail for the overall plans) but any thoughts as to this predicament are much appreciated. It breaks his heart making this graphic sacrifice to the gods of Revit but I just don't see any other way.

david_peterson
2015-06-16, 11:45 AM
If that's really what he wants do everything at medium detail and don't model the gyp.
Just let him know that you won't see gyp in sections, or you'll have to add detail components to all your sections.
Only other option would be to try and create a course fill pattern that matches what he's looking for.
That's about the only thing I can think off.

DaveP
2015-06-17, 02:24 PM
Revit Walls have a "Function" parameter.
You could use that to create a Filter that would select only the Interior walls.
Then in your View Template (or just the Visibility/Graphics for that View, use that filter and set Cut Pattern to Solid Fill and Gray.

But keep working on your boss & get him to let go of old habits.
Yes, you could do this for your Walls, but then you'll lose Revit's ability to shade walls by Phase.

patricks
2015-06-18, 07:24 PM
Don't model sheathing or interior gyp. Make air space equal to actual air space + sheathing. All dimensions go to face of framing, either interior or exterior depending on your standards. Then show the sheathing and interior gyp. board in larger wall section and plan details.

Is there any problem doing it that way?

dan.217661
2015-07-12, 12:52 PM
He suggested I model a double wall condition (brick and everything else), which is even terribler and inefficienter.

Why would that be worse and more inefficient? Most building have conditions where the external finish does not extend as high as the structural backup or needs to break. Why can't you model the brick as a separate wall type over the backup leaving the appropriate air gap (not as a modeled wall but as a physical gap like it really is)? Tis would also allow you to use course level patterns for the brick and the backup as he wants. I'm not really seeing the issue.

I've changed my thinking to trying to model things the way they are built (either conceptually and/or physically). I can justify using a single wall type for a structural backup wall since it will most likely be contracted out to and installed by a single entity while the masonry would come later and be installed by a different sub.